Thursday, April 10, 2014

Easy Eggs Benedict Breakfast!

I love Eggs Benedict and I've always dream of making it from scratch at home. I procrastinated because I was intimidated by having to make my own poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce. Have heard too many scary stories of failed attempts to make me hold off the attempt to make it myself.

I was craving for something savoury, something saucy and something runny *smile*... and the thought of combining Waffles with Eggs Benedict came to mind. Took me 3 whole days to finally gather all the ingredients I need and to squeeze time to make me-self the decadent breakfast!

As usual, I'd go around hunting for recipes on Youtube and on the internet on waffles and eggs ben. After snooping here, checking that, here's finally the version of Waffles with Eggs Benedict I've come up with.

And the catch is, I did not make the Hollandaise sauce in the traditional way. It turned out just as fantastic nonetheless and way faster and easier than double boiling while whisking the sauce up!

Check out this video on how the poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce can be done in quite a jiffy!

Video by: CHOW

Here're the recipes -
(A) Waffles
1 cup flour
2 eggs
80ml milk
75ml melted butter (or vegetable oil)
3 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Process
1) Combine all dry ingredients together well
2) Pour in the liquid ingredients and mix well with a spatula
3) Heat up waffle iron or waffle pan
4) Make the waffles accordingly
5) Set it aside

(B) Hollandaise Sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg yolk
4 tbsp butter (melted under very gentle heat)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Process
Note: Boil a pot of water, set it aside this is for keeping the Hollandaise sauce warm later.
1) Add egg yolk and lemon juice into a blender
2) Blend for 30 secs or until the mixture is light yellow in colour
3) Stop the blender and then slowly drizzle in the butter
4) Blend till the mixture thickens (this should take less than a min)
5) Add salt & pepper to taste
6) Pour the sauce into a heat proof container and let it sit in the pot of hot water you've boiled earlier to keep the Hollandaise sauce warm.

(C) Poached Eggs
2 whole eggs
2-3 tbsp distilled vinegar
Pot of simmering hot water (on stove)

You may watch the video posted above on how to make the poached eggs.

Serve it with Honey Baked ham or any other types of ham of your choice. You can also serve your version of Eggs Benedict with English Muffins or plain toasted buns.


This meal can be made as Brunch as well. It does take a bit of time but it's definitely well worth the effort! Imagine, serving cafe style food to your family! :)


No comments: