Once you get the hang of making your own bread, I am almost certain, you wouldn't want to pay for commercially prepared bread. As it's always fun to bake your own and the outcome is usually delicious!
Now here's a basic sweet bun dough recipe that makes the most fluffy and soft breads. I've tried so many basic sweet bun dough recipes and this by far gives the best results (psst, not even tangzhong recipes could compare).
Here are the few variations I've created out of the same bread dough recipe -
|Left to right: Ham & Cheese with Mayo, Cinnamon Roll, Sausage Buns|
1) Be gentle when handling the bread dough during the shaping process, so as not to overwork the dough otherwise it would toughen the texture of the breads.
2) If you feel that your buns aren't as soft as when it was freshly baked, try heating up your toaster oven or preheat oven at 200C, turn off the oven then place your buns into the oven to warm it up for 2-3 mins. It would help soften the texture of the bread somehow.
Ingredients *(Update: I've left out the measurement of sugar in the recipe previously, here's the updated recipe)
200gms Bread Flour
150gms Cake Flour (or Top Flour)
6gms Milk Powder (I used Nestle Instant Milk powder)
2tsp Instant Yeast
40gms (approx) Eggs
1 egg (whisked)
1 tsp water
(made on Kenwood KM250 bread maker)
1) Add all the wet ingredients (except butter) into the bread pan.
2) Add all the dry ingredients into the bread pan and start the machine.
3) When the rough dough has come together, add the butter.
4) After the first proofing is complete remove the dough from the bread pan, punch out all the air; shape the dough into a big ball then cover the dough with a tea towel or cling wrap and allow it to rest for 15mins
5) Divide the dough into 8 - 10 equal portions
6) Shape the dough into the shape of buns you desire
7) Allow the shaped buns to proof for another 40mins
8) With a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash on the surface of the shaped buns
9) Top with your desired toppings
10)Preheat oven to 170C; bake the bread for 20mins or till golden brown
11)Once bread is done, allow the buns to cool completely on cooling rack before storing