Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Reflection of MOM : The Undivided Heart

I mentioned sometime ago about this Christian mothers' group that I was in since the beginning of the year, we just ended our year's long book study on Sally Clarkson's "The Mission of Motherhood", this week. I am grateful that God has made our paths crossed, and I am so looking forward to a brand new year of a new book study and of course the much treasured fellowship.
The wonderful ladies of the MOM group (minus 1 who joined us later in the year)
As we ended the year's long session, we were given a challenge on what we hope to change in ourselves as we parent our kids - the one huge thing I know I needed desperately to change is to have an undivided heart.

Many people who know or don't know me personally all had an impression of me having everything holding up together well and in order. Well, I'll let you in to a truth and that is, NO, I do not have it all hold up well together! 

Some areas of my life is falling apart and the one BIG thing that's falling apart is - parenting and the other would be housekeeping! You see, I have a weakness and that is, I am often tempted by the "weapons of mass distraction"!
Photo Credit Link
And so I am a very distracted mom! I am aware I needed to get myself out of this problem!

I recently came across this article, by Rachel Macy Stafford, and it just about sums up a lot of what I do and feel as I parent my kids on a day-to-day basis (the quotes below are excerpts from the article) -
"During the two years of my overly distracted life, I communicated more to a screen than to the people in my family. My schedule was so tightly packed that I constantly found myself saying, “We don’t have time for that.” And because there wasn’t a minute to spare, that meant no time to relax, be silly, or marvel at interesting wonders along our path. I was so focused on my “agenda” that I lost sight of what really mattered." 
This is how my kids are treated almost on a daily basis -
"Sadly, there was one person in particular who bore the brunt of my discontentment: my first-born daughter. She could not make a mess without me shaking my head in disappointment. She could not forget her homework, her jacket, or her lunchbox without me making a big deal about it. She could not spill, stain, break, or misplace without being made to feel like she'd made the worst mistake in the world. 
Although it pains me to write this, I remember sighing heavily in annoyance when she fell down and hurt herself because it threw me off my "master schedule." My daughter was not allowed to be a child who learned by trying and yes, sometimes failing."
It's definitely not something I am proud of and I can only say, I desperately need to change! I need to offer the UNDIVIDED HEART in my caring and guiding of my children, to be that mom who is consistently present, body, mind and emotion.


Choices have consequences. How we choose to focus our priorities and time in light of our children's lives will have great consequences not only for their individual futures but for the future of our society as well. 

For the children to become righteous leaders or emotionally healthy and productive adults, someone needs to take responsibility for their nurture, protection, nourishment, intellectual development, manners, recreation, personal needs and spiritual development. Someone needs to commit time and energy into staying close to them as they grow, encouraging and correcting and teaching.

I needed to face the reality that all of the "important stuff" I was longing to do had far less eternal significance than what I was involved in doing. If I didn't commit myself wholeheartedly to the demands of motherhood, I would never be able to do my best, because my heart would always be somewhere else.

Being a mother is a full-time job - demanding as well as deeply fulfilling. It is a responsibility that rightly commands our primary attention and calls for an intentional commitment. We owe our children - and ourselves - our full hearts, not whatever is left over after a busy day in everything else.

And here's a reminder that I'd place in my heart as I continue on in this route of motherhood - when I serve my family, I am serving the Lord Jesus Himself. So I am learning to give the best love I can!

No comments: