Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Need To Detox

I always held onto this belief "We live to eat" and not the other way round. I love food, I love to bake, cook and EAT! What's to stop me from chomping down a cow? *just kidding* but seriously, having turned 40 not too long ago, I felt a change in my health and oh all that indulging and binging of food! I knew my body really needed a break as I cannot even remember when was the last time I allowed my body to remove all those accumulated toxins that have built up after YEARS of poor eating!

It all started a few weeks ago, when I felt rather lethargic almost everyday of the week, not just Monday to Friday during school term where I've to get up at 5am to get Little Man ready for school. I felt sluggish most time of the day and I have a HUGE APPETITE for EVERYTHING SWEET and it's becoming an addiction! The satisfaction of sugar in my body, evoked a feeling of euphoria in my brain and gave me the sugar rush to help energise my sluggish body. Which I know it's got to stop!

Photo credit link
What does our Craving tells us?
I read that the cause of my sweet craving was a way my body was trying to communicate a deficiency in a certain vitamin/nutrient. What I really needed wasn't a dessert or sweets but rather Chromium, Carbon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Tryptophan (felt like you're reading a chemistry post?) *smile* here's a chart that you might find useful if you feel that you've been craving from some food stuff (eg. salty, chocolate, fast food etc). In this chart it gives the healthier alternative to what you have been craving for.

Benefits of a Detox
I was convinced that my system badly needed a good cleansing so that all the toxins could be removed and to reboot my metabolism. Here's why I was convinced -

A detox diet could help -
1) Clear out toxins
2) Balance hormones
3) Increase energy
4) Increase blood circulation
5) Improve digestion
6) Strengthen immune system
7) Improve concentration
8) Improve sleep quality
9) Regular bowel movements
10)Clearer skin
11)Detoxify organs
(source: EatFeelFresh)

Many types of Detox Diet Plans
What we need to do is to eat a healthy, nutrient-packed 'light' diet for a few days. This may mean to temporarily cut out alcohol, caffine, dairy, sugar and red meat.
Photo credit link
Foods to include are lots of fresh fruits and lightly steamed vegetables, fresh fish, legumes (chickpeas, lentils), eggs, nuts, seeds, oats, quinoa and lots of water.

A detox is far from a quick fix for weight loss. The purpose of any detox plan is to take the load off the organs that detoxify the body - the liver, kidneys and bowel - while at the same time supporting and improving their performance.

I don't really have a problem with my body weight but it's certainly not in a good shape even though I'm within the ideal weight range for my height. A detox program doesn't necessary have to be about losing weight. For me it's an obvious choice for removing toxins that has been building up in my body over the years.

I've just started a 3-day detox diet and will share in detail of the food I've consumed within the 3 days in the next post, yes, recipes included!

Disclaimer, I am not a dietician neither am I a doctor, what I share is what I have researched and read up about before preparing the food and consuming it. So please don't hold me responsible if the diet plan didn't work for you. Also, if you are in any way under medication or undergoing treatments for some health issues, please do consult your doctor before embarking on any detox programs.

5 comments:

Denise Bertacchi said...

Interesting, I might have to give this a try. I have been pretty tired lately...maybe I need a reboot!

Katherine Phillips said...

I can't wait to read your updates

Susan said...

Loking forward to learn more about what you did to detox. Being in the office for more than 8 hours and having a sedentary lifestyle makes me so lethargic all the time. Thankfully, I can still squeeze out time for exercise on some days.

Barbara Boser said...

This is a great post! I know that sometimes my sweet cravings are because I haven't had anything substantial that day. Thanks for sharing :)

Michael Pierce said...

Nice, I always wondered if our cravings were the body's way of communicating a deficiency. That chart you linked to is great.