Friday, October 11, 2013

Reflection of MOM - A Journey Like No Other

It's been slightly over 9 months now since a group of us christian moms gathered together to embark on a book study based on "The Mission of Motherhood" by Sally Clarkson. The experience has been most wonderful as we banded together to encourage, edify and support each other in this journey of motherhood. I have been richly blessed by the open sharing by these ladies about their struggles in motherhood and I have also learned loads from the exchanges of questions and ideas during all the sessions where we met.

My only regret, as I look back at all that we've shared, no records was documented. And so I am right now walking down memory lane picking up all the points that I've put down on my own notebook, hoping that you'll be blessed by my sharing.

********************************************
When friends and relatives asked about the struggles I had when I decided to step down from the corporate ladder to focus on bringing up my children, it puzzled me. It was a natural decision and desire to want to stay home for my children, I didn't quite understand why would it have been a struggle to make that choice. Neither did they understand why would I forgo a job that paid me comfortably and I was able to enjoy far more material gains than running around diaper-ing, feeding, bathing my children.

Motherhood is a calling and the fundamental mission of motherhood is to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and His purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully.

Children need the gentle touch of a mom's hands, focus and attention on a daily basis. They need a champion, a cheerleader, someone who has the time and energy to give encouragement along life's way and comfort in dark times. They need a directive voice to show them how to live. Meeting those needs are part of God's design for mothers.

The mission of motherhood is strategic in providing the next generation with wholehearted, emotionally healthy and spiritually alive adults. It is not simply a lifestyle choice. It's a divine calling that will indeed affect eternity. Motherhood is a deeply meaningful role contrary to the world's view. In our current time and day, we were taught in society to do something important with our life, which means choosing a career and a type of work that would make the best use of our talents and personality; we could marry and have kids if we wanted, but not at the expense of fulfilling our potential. But that's really not God's design for us mothers.

A friend from Facebook recently shared a status that just about sums it all up -
"Occasionally someone would ask me, possibly to make themselves feel better, "But don't you miss it? Meeting important people, doing important things, feeling important?" It used to bother me, but as soon as I realized this, it was like a huge weight was lifted off me: I AM amidst important people everyday, the most important ones to me! I AM doing something important - I am moulding the people of tomorrow! I am contributing toward them growing as happy, healthy, honest and empathetic people. And if that doesn't make me feel important, I don't know what else would." ~ Adora Tan, Gingerbreadmum
When we put our life into building up our household and children, we are really doing something that's important, something that's of God's design for we mothers. But please don't get me wrong, full-time working moms ought to be applauded as well, for some, it was due to family financial commitments that they didn't have much of a choice but to leave their children in the care of caregivers. Their sacrifices in terms of putting extra effort and time in child minding when they are back from work are certainly commendable.

No matter what our culture tells us, I've discovered, and no matter what directions our own desire may push us, the only way to true joy and peace is God's way. After reading chapter 1 of Sally Clarkson's "Mission of Motherhood", the thing that rings true to me is - the most important thing that I can do with my life is to invest it in my children. Their lives are more important than building a career. To me, it is a journey with purpose, peace, fulfillment and excitement.

Incidentally, an article that circulated within Facebook virally - "You are a stay-at-home mom, what do you do all day?", somewhat ties in well with my write up today, written by a dad blogger that recognizes the importance the role of a stay-at-home-mom has. Take a read, it might interest you.

No comments: