Sunday, May 05, 2013

Mommy I am Sooo Bored!

Let's be honest, how often does your child or even children lament that they are bored? Well I experienced it a lot recently - especially so when I refused them the iPhone or computer games.

I do not have a magic wand to make them "un-bored" when they make me responsible for their happiness and their own fun. I think it is really time that the kids be taught to take responsibility of their own lives - wherever that's age appropriate, for now it's creating their own fun and be responsible about it. I don't think they are incapable of it, they just need to rely less on the computer or digital devices to keep them constantly stimulated.

I chanced upon this book recently, 'The 7 Habits of Happy Kids' by Sean Covey, and I think all the wisdom shared within this book applies not just to the kids but to us adults as well. This will be a learning journey for me as I go through it with the kids.

The author's aim is to help the children in 3 ways:
  1. Teach the children about the power of living according to principles such as responsibility, planning ahead, respect for others, team work and balance.
  2. Equip the children with a common language they can use with parents and teachers.
  3. Children will find part of themselves in one of the characters of the book and as a result help the kids apply the 7 habits to their own lives. 
Each story illustrates one habit and at the end of each story there's a parents' corner, which has some suggestions on how to bring out the habit in that story. In addition, there are discussion questions which parents could help kids take baby steps to start practicing the habits.

The very first story covers the exact habit that I need to help my children build ie. be proactive, take charge of your own life and stop playing the victim! This book is packed with loads of colourful illustration that will appeal! Each story would definitely be easily understood by even a 5-year-old.

Just as Charlotte Mason has so aptly put - Sow a habit, reap a character.’ But we must go a step further back, we must sow the idea or notion which makes the act worth while.” — Charlotte Mason

To sow a good habit, it's imperative to start the children young while they are still mouldable.




5 comments:

Rose said...

Interesting book! As a parent, we would want our children to be happy and grow up as a happy adult. But life catches up on us and sometimes we tend to neglect our children because of other priorities.

Rachel said...

This looks like an interesting title..I should really check it out. Did u get it online?

Mamabliss said...

Yes Rose, that's exactly my problem. Too many priorities and can't seem to get them correct so from now on would have to put the kids' upbringing and habits training as the key and main priority!

Mamabliss said...

Hey Rachel, I got it while shopping at the Popular bkstore at Thomson Plaza :)

Libby said...

Sometimes we adults also complain being bored my student also complain life is boring i think this book will be a good read