Monday, April 08, 2013

Easy Meals for Busy Moms: 5 Time Savers in Meal Preparation


When it comes to meal preparation, many of us might not have the luxury of time to whip up a good meal on a daily basis. In this series on Easy Meals for Busy Moms, I hope to share more tips and ideas on how to prepare simple yet quick ways of preparing daily dinners. So whether you are a SAHM, WAHM, or even FTWM, I hope you'll benefit from my sharing and be inspired to prepare home cooked food for yourself and for your loved ones.

To kick start this series, here's 5 Time Savers in Meal Preparation that I've adopted and it's been making me more effective when I prepare my meals in the evening. Leaving me more time to handle other day-to-day matters. I hope it'll be useful to you too.



Prepare a meal plan. Best to work out a 8 weeks' meal plan at one go. Rotate the planned meals weekly. This way you are ensured of a variety of different food and not get bored. 


Get your grocery shopping done once a week. With the meal plan in place, you'll be able to get all the ingredients you need quickly. You may visit the market (or supermart) once more during mid-week, for fresh fruits and leafy vegetables.


Use that oven/toaster oven, thermal pot/slow cooker! Steamed fish, grilled chicken wings or char siew, Teriyaki salmon, soups & stews you name it can all be easily prepared in a jiffy. Best of all you'll have a grease-free kitchen and minimal washing to do.


Work in about 2 one-pot meals if you can on a weekly basis. It'll make prep and cleaning much simpler. One pot can be stews, noodles, pizza, cottage pies that involves loads of vegetables and meat within one pot. That way you'll have the necessary protein and fibre you need.

Use of "convenience food" such as premixes or frozen/canned ingredients eg. frozen mixed vegetables for fried rice, premix curry paste for curry chicken (if you don't mind pre-prepared ingredients).

Next week, I'll focus on meal planning and a free sample of a 4-week meal plan would also be made available for your download. So do remember to check back next week

Do leave me a comment or even write to me if you have any suggestions or let me know what you would like to be covered in this series. Thank you!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing tips! Thanks for sharing , Pauline! I love it and looking forward . More one dish meals please. Lol..,,

Jenny

Madeline Heng said...

Cool series! I know nuts about cooking so it's good to know for the days my mum in law is not cooking.. which which thankfully aren't many :D

Mamabliss said...

Thanks Jenny :) will try to share more useful tips on meal preparation :)

Mamabliss said...

Thanks Madeline :) you are so blessed to have mom in law preparing meals for you :))))

Dominique Goh said...

Looking forwards to more tips from you :)

Mamabliss said...

Will try to put up more useful tips :D thanks Dom!

The Kam family said...

Thanks, Pauline!

For point #3, you left out the amazing HappyCall Pan! My life saver, almost :-) I use it frequently for a lot of my one-pot dishes.

And to add a comment on the convenient food - frozen veg is okay, but not the canned food. Canned food are usually loaded with lots of preservative, additive, flavoring and even coloring, and with low nutritional value.

Look forward to your meal plan!!!

Adora said...

This is so timely. I was just telling my husband how exhausted I am because if I'm not marketing to cook for the family, I have to think about other options like do we eat out or do we buy back, and from where? Gosh. It's really so tiring!

I look forward to your meal plans!!!