Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Living My Dreams

When I was invited by Rachel Lim to share my story of living my dreams, I was flattered, I truly was. Then my mind went, but who would be interested to read my story consider I have been a SAHM/WAHM for close to 5 years now, with my life revolving around the mom-sy activities. I do however, know it's a privilege to be able to share my experience of my journey after stepping out of the corporate world. While my voice is small in the world of the blogosphere, it's a story, I'll gladly share.

From a long time ago (way before I was even married), I had a dream, and that was to be a tai-tai (hah, not very much of an aspiration, I know). I wasn't kidding when I told my friends that, from the very beginning. The corporate world wasn't for me, I knew that eons ago as playing office politics and meddling with superficial relationships is just not my cup of tea. I had yearned to be a home maker from as long ago as I could remember. But then, I didn't imagine it'd one day be materialized because in a pragmatic society like ours, it's hard to live on one income. So that dream remained a dream, and was buried at the back burner for a while.

The desire to be a SAHM became more prevalent after I have my first child and I firmly believe it was a desire that was planted by God in my heart as my hubby shares the same view that it's beneficial to the child if the mom could be home taking care of him/her. Not long after our second child came along, I was given the go-ahead to stay home.

However, I am too far from being a tai-tai (definition by Wikipedia - a privileged, wealthy lady who does not work), I am neither wealthy nor have nothing to do. I jumped right into work being a full-time mom, with caring, educating and minding the kids right away.

Living on one income was hard and things didn't turn out as rosy as we've wanted it to be. We struggled a lot financially at home but we brave it and somehow get by. We had wanted to run a childcare centre but the dreams were dashed at the end of the day, though in retrospect, it was a blessing in disguise.

I am blessed to have a hubby who supports me in what I want to do and who is willing to work hard for the family even though it's been tough for him. We hardly argued or quarreled over financial issues at home. We placed our hope and trust in our Lord God who has promised to provide for our needs. While many nay sayers chided me for selfishly wanting to keep my SAHM status, we held onto our beliefs and faith.

Because of my time spent with the kids and my training in Montessori methods, I had the opportunity to share what I did with my kids at home through blogging. That indirectly opened up my world to many other like-minded moms. One of them was, Rachel Teo, who now has become my close friend cum business partner; together we formed MyPlayschool.net, a place where we share our experiences in home-learning with our children through workshops and written posts in our website. It was in the hope that by doing what we did, we will inspire many other moms to take on the task of educating their own at home. The business didn't take off far but with the many positive feedback we received from the moms we've come in contact with, we knew our prayers have been answered. (Read more details of how MyPlayschool came to inception over at Rachel's blog).

Crafting and sewing was another area that I've dabbled into. I have sold pieces of work that I've made and ran sewing classes along the way. It was fun though it's been a tad too laborious that it will be a hobby that I will keep.

In a twist of events, without any plans of any sorts, I was led to cooking up a storm in my kitchen with the HappyCall Pan, in Sep 2011. By the simple act of sharing the food photos daily, I was appointed by my friends in Facebook as a "spokesperson" for the pan somehow. Not long after, I hooked up with my other business partner, Louisa, who was a business associate turned friend through the course of work during my media/advertising job previously. We then started a Facebook community, Munch Ministry, which has now become a business, where we run baking/cooking classes and bulk purchases. With the media exposures given to Munch Ministry on Sunday Times, Yahoo News and Razor TV, our business took off so quickly,  that we really didn't have the time to sit down to reflect but just had to keep on running.

I would say, I put in a lot more hours (average 14hrs a day online and offline) in the work that I do now than when I was at my corporate work previously, on top of taking care of the household, the kids and time for myself. But work isn't work when it's fueled by passion and interest. I am very blessed to be able to do the things I enjoy doing (teaching my kids, cooking/baking, sometimes sewing/crafting) as I continue my journey as a mom. Being there for my kids when they needed me, and at the same time bringing an income while being home. This flexibility has been perfect thus far and is certainly a dream being realized!


Honestly, everything that happened after I become a SAHM was "unplanned" but somehow, things fell into place, it was like a path that has been carved out for me, and I was directed to walk along it. It wasn't always easy, most of the time I was groping my way around and stabbing in the dark, but somehow many things came to past just as Rachel and I have prayed about. We wanted to impact the people around us positively one way or another and through our course as a SAHM/WAHM, we were blessed (not financially) many folds back. The friendships we have formed, the support we have gained, the experiences we've gathered over the years have been great and immensely priceless! I wouldn't have wanted my life to be any different from now, because it's more meaningful and definitely fulfilling this way.

In my quiet time with the Lord, I'd often ask what have I, an insignificant SAHM/WAHM, done to deserve so much blessings and grace from Him that He's blessed me so much in the things that I do. This was His answer to me -
While I remain a nobody to the world, I am grateful to be a somebody to my Lord Almighty! It is indeed with God all things are made possible!

Linking up with:



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus is certainly the author and finisher of our faith ! Rejoicing with u, Pauline ! Continue to dream ;)
Jenny

Sin Yee said...

2 thumbs up! God Bless!

Nat said...

I love the last quote :) And thank you for the very inspiring post. I've recently made the move from SAHM to aspiring WAHM and your experience is indeed encouraging.

June said...

A really inspiring story indeed. Our Lord loves to surprise us! So encouraged and blessed to be able to read your story and journey thus far as a creative "business-mum" ;)

Ai Sakura said...

So happy to read how your He has blessed your life and led the way, even without you knowing it then. Thanks for sharing this inspiring story.

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

Mamabliss said...

Thank you Jenny :) Indeed, I totally agree, God is the author of our faith :)

Mamabliss said...

Thank you Sin Yee :)

Mamabliss said...

Welcome to the journey of a WAHM, Nat :) it'll def be fun and worthwhile :)

Mamabliss said...

Yes, indeed, June! :) He usually does that, springing us loads of surprises along the way :)

Mamabliss said...

Thank you Ai :)

Dominique Goh said...

Really inspirational Pauline. Great to read that you are living your dream.

Rachel said...

Never will forget that message that our Lord shared with us, about being nobodies. Came so often for a period of time for a period time and so in our face, that it is so hard to ignore. God is good, He will always be. And no matter how stormy things may get, I will always be that sister companion that will walk alongside with u. Thanks partner for your friendship and love :)))

Mamabliss said...

Thanks Dom! :) it's a privilege that God has given me :)

Mamabliss said...

Yes Rachel, it's really great to have a companion and sister to walk alongside me in all the ups and downs that I am going through :) and I truly believe it's never a coincidence in the way we met and get to know each other.

Let's brave the path of "surprises" together! :)

Madeline Heng said...

Awesome post! Very inspiring indeed :)

Klessis said...

Inspiring! God definitely has His way of making everything work out well in the end. :)

Rachel said...

From a nobody to become somebody... I'm inspired! Thank you again for taking time off to share your dreams and journey of yours Pauline!

Let's keep moving forward and brave through each and every challenges along the way.

Libby said...

A very nice post, enjoyed reading it and so inspiring.