Monday, September 24, 2012

Meal Preparation for Busy Moms

Since my domestic helper left us 3 years ago, I used to battle within myself if I should prepare meals or just do the takeaways. More often than not, I'd succumb to the latter because it's just way easier, especially, when I have a thousand other things to take care of in the household.

Just late last year, I was introduced to the HappyCall Pan and things took a drastic turn. I started cooking almost daily except for the weekends and started to enjoy preparing meals and dining at home instead of takeaways. I value the fact that we had a lot lesser MSG, salt and sugar in our food, when I was able to determine what I added into my food. I discovered along the way too that dinners need not be elaborate in order to be good. The hubs was the happiest of all *smile*


However, being a very busy mom, juggling so many hats at the same time, it's quite insane to have to prepare a feast at home daily. I'd resort to simple quick fixes but I wouldn't compromise on the nutrition level as well as freshness of ingredients. I am blessed to have a hubby and two kids who are not picky about food. That made planning and preparing meals a lot easier for me.

On regular weekdays, our dinner will usually comprise of

  • Meat dish + Vege dish OR
  • Meat dish + Vege dish + Soup OR
  • One Pot Meals
With that in mind, our dinners are usually prepared and cooked under one hour unless I'm working on stews or soups, even with that, it can still be done quite easily. Now my family is happy and so am I :)

In my next post I will share what are the simple recipes I used for our daily dinners, so stay tuned!

13 comments:

Adeline Oon said...

I super support one pot meals! fuss free and fast to cook. :) Looking forward to your recipes!

DinoMama said...

YEAH! Hurray for Home Cooked Meals!
But alas... we are only weekend chefs :( I wish I could cook daily!

Mamabliss said...

yeah Adeline I have always love one pot meals!!! :) yes will post recipe ideas soon :D thanks for dropping by!

Dominique@Dominique's Desk said...

Looking forward to reading about what you prepare at home for dinners.. the above dishes look really yummy.

Mamabliss said...

DinoMama, with the thermal pot you just might be able to have home cooked meals daily :P anyways, weekend cooking is just as good! At least, you still have home cooked meals for 2 days in a week! :)

Ai Sakura said...

I don't usually cook on weekdays too but make an effort at least once or twice over the weekend. I love seeing your food photos on IG :)


Ai @ Sakura Haruka

Mamabliss said...

haha thanks Dom! :)

Mamabliss said...

Hi Ai Sakura, I used to cook only 2 days a week too until I discovered the joy of home cooked meals :)

Madeline Heng said...

Always admire a mom who cooks diligently! Nice =)

Susan said...

I'm a fan of the HCP too :) Looking forward to your recipes.

Mamabliss said...

hehe Madeline, after eating the takeaway for almost a year I came to my senses that it tasted horrible :P so had to bite the bullet to continue cooking daily meals.

Mamabliss said...

Cool Susan! Though not every of the dishes I cooked are made on HCP hopefully you won't be disappointed :D

Jasmine Koh said...

I will be linking up to your blog for my thurs singapore secrets post! I can't wait to read about your cooking tips.