Wednesday, June 06, 2012

A Date with Missy

I am guilt stricken when it comes to spending time with my Little Missy. Unlike her brother who was surrounded by adults who showered him with loads of attention and care during his younger days (ie. from 0year onwards), Missy was given the shorter end of the stick because by the time I was a SAHM I had 2 very young kids to manage together with my helper. Because the two kids are so close in their age gap (19mths), I find it a struggle to offer equal attention to both of them.

As such, she's always been the one who's more insecure and constantly vying for my attention. Yes, I've been a bad mom... 

This week, being the June school holidays, our church is running the Vacation Bible School program for kids age 5years and above, we had the intention to send Missy for it but the church was rather sticky about her being 2mths short of being 5 years old. Hence, Missy was left out of the program. While her brother gets to enjoy the song, dance and fun I decided that this is the perfect time for mommy to catch up some one-on-one time with her.
We seldom had the opportunity to be alone, riding on the bus, chit chatting and just spending time together doing nothing much but accompanying each other. I love this quiet day that I had with her, waiting for the bus.

She loves bus rides, because we are always riding on daddy's car we hardly take the public transport much. I am grateful even simple everyday things like this excites her.

As we waited for our breakfast to be served at the cafe, she decided to draw something for me :)

A butterfly princess

Simple breakfast as we spent some quality time together.

She's one with the sweet tooth and usually wouldn't resist anything that's sweet. Chocolate chip muffin was her choice breakfast :D

After going around the supermart with me, she was given a chance to pick a small item, a little gift just for her :)


Happy Little Missy after spending the morning with Mommy :) 

I should make this a regular thing with Missy. She's since been very chirpy and happy and less whiny. I guess, the best gift I could offer her is my time and attention.


4 comments:

mamagarcia said...

I love your article. I too sometimes feel guilty about the amount of time I spend with each of my kids. While yours are 19 mos apart, mine are 6 years apart. It is sometimes hard to cater to both their needs because of the age gap. Thanks for sharing your feeling as a mom. Now I know that I am not the only one who feels guilty about spending the quality time with my kids...

Greetings! said...

Motherhood is such a challenging job isn't it Garcia? It's true when we hv kids of multiple ages who have very different interest and personality we need to work extra hard to meet their needs. Let's continue to encourage each other as we walk along this path of motherhood :)

MeRy said...

Nice write up......

reanaclaire said...

Mine are big kids already and yes, if I could turn back the clock now, I would like to spend more time with them... most of the days, I will be working and only get to be with them during some few hours in the evening...