Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Working From Home Can Be Fun

Confucius has a saying that I really like - “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” 

In the past four years of being a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), I've toyed with the idea of taking on part-time jobs or ways to make money just so that I could indulge in the occasional retail therapy. 

Some work that I've dabbled on since I stayed home - 

I ran play groups for a while; being  Montessori trained I wanted to apply what I've learned and  it suited my needs at that time when my children were little and I wanted them to have some company (as I didn't put my son in school till he was 4). It was a great 1 year where I befriended and exchanged loads of parenting/teaching/child's health ideas with like-minded moms all these while the kids had fun together. 

Sewing and handicraft has always been one of my favourite past-time. It is therapeutic and it helps me hone some patience which is so scarce in me (ermm that's of course another story). I've had the privilege to run a few sewing lessons with the friends I've made through the playgroup and friends I've made through my Facebook network. Watching the ladies working on and completing their projects really gave me a strong sense of satisfaction. 

The only time I didn't think the work at home job was fun was when I took on a part-time administrative job that consumed a lot of my time and energy notwithstanding the added stress that I didn't like to manage. Reminded me of the corporate work that I've walked out of in previous years. Naturally, it didn't last too long before I threw in the towel. It was however, quite an experience for I know for sure what I didn't like.

Then came MyPlayschool.net that was founded by my partner Rachel and I for we wanted to put all that we've been trained for in early childhood education for a good cause. We also wanted a platform where we could share our knowledge, experience and tips to other moms who have children of the early childhood age.   Empowering them and assisting them to kick-start their home learning journey with their children.

 More recently, I found my mojo in cooking and baking and have been obsessed by the thought of providing my family with healthier home cooked meals daily. It all started when I first tried the Happy Call Pan (was not influenced by the TV ad rather I bought my pan at G Market at a much cheaper price *wink*), and the love affair with home cooking just began. The turn of events took place so swiftly that in less than 6 months this passion in home cooking has developed into a business and thus the inception of Munch Ministry.

As I list these work from home experiences I am reminded of how very blessed I have been to be able to work from home and at the same time enjoy the time with my children, doing things I love doing. While it may not bring me loads of $$$ but it's sufficient to keep me happy! 

Beyond work, I've build myself a network of great friends who share the same interest and love for sewing/crafting, cooking and educating their own kids. It has been a fruitful journey thus far and a very fulfilling one too! I don't dread waking up in the mornings and I wish I don't have to sleep because everyday is an exciting day for me that sleep is such a waste of time! :)  

So I can confidently say, that I have found a job that I love which I live each day not having to work but doing what I love to do :) I am so loving it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pauline, how I wish I can be like you... working from home!

This is Daphne ... hehe

Regina Moo said...

Me jeles!! :)

Mama Bliss said...

Daphne, even if it's not working from home, I am sure you will be able to find something you really like to do and be employed :)

Mama Bliss said...

hehe Regina, don't be dear... we all have a different route to tread :) and everything has its season. I can't be sure how long can I remain a WAHM :)

agnes said...

Hi Pauline, thanks for sharing this. I am so happy that you have found your "calling", which I am sure GOD has a part to play in. I am still an ardent fan of your creativity all these years *wink*

curiositykills said...

hi,
u mentioned u were montessori trained? where may i ask?
u took the diploma course? :)
thanks
shia