Thursday, January 19, 2012

In Love with Soba

When I first come across cold noodles in sesame sauce at Baumkuchen, I took a special liking for it. It has a unique and very yummy taste which I later found out it was actually sesame sauce. Being a foodie, I took it upon myself to try to find out how to make this noodle myself so that I could enjoy it anytime my whims came along.

While shopping at the supermart one day, I discovered this Mizkan Sesame sauce and decided to give it a try (even though I have no clue if this was going to taste as good as what I have tasted at Baumkuchen.
And so the sesame sauce was put on a test!
This was how my version of Soba in sesame sauce looks like. I'll give it a 2 thumbs up, the sesame sauce was really tasty and now I have a new idea of making soba!

You can make it too if you like, it's ultra simple :)

Ingredients
Dried Soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
2 large chicken drumbsticks (or you may use chicken breast meat)
2 Eggs (whisked)
2-3 tbsp Mizkan Sesame Sauce
Spring Onion (chopped)
Red Chilli (seeded, thinly sliced; optional)
Nori topping (optional; you may substitute it with just toasted sesame seeds)

Method
1) Boil the Soba noodles till cooked; discard the water in the pot and rinse soba noodles in cold water.
2) Boil chicken meat till cooked; shred the meat and set it aside
3) Fry the eggs into omelette and slice it thinly
4) Place cooked Soba noodles onto a plate and toss it with the sesame sauce till well combined
5) Top with chicken meat, spring onion, sliced chilli and Nori topping

This is great for lunch as it's so simple yet super yummy! Bon Appetit!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mamabliss,

Pls advise which supermart carries the sesame sauce u r talking about, it seem like Fairprice does not sell.

Cheers.. Melody

Mama Bliss said...

Hi Melody,

This sauce can be found at the Japanese section of FairPrice. I got mine from the Toa Payoh Hub FairPrice. You might also want to try the FairPrice at Junction8 they have a huge Japanese section in that branch. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Thks! The Fairprice that I frequent doesn't have Japanese section! Maybe will try Cold Storage or bigger Fairprice outlets!

Cheers... Melody

Anonymous said...

i use this sauce all the time. toss it with some romaine, delish!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

I chanced upon your blog from Dainty Bites and realise I really like your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi, may I know where I can get soba noodles? Thanks.

Greetings! said...

Hi Anonymous, the dried soba noodles can be bought from most supermarkets that sells Japanese products. :)