Tiramisu is by far one of my FAVOURITE dessert. When I learned that it is a non-baked cake, you can imagine how thrilled I was!
Tiramisu simply appeals to me perhaps it's the perfect combination of cocoa powder and coffee, I can't really describe it explicitly enough. It's just heavenly!
I love it that this particular recipe is so simple and the steps are so minimal yet the dessert was so addictive that didn't last more than 24hours before it was completely gone! Hubs and I just ate up the entire 10"x10" size tiramisu in less than a day! Gosh imagine the calories we've piled up into our system... I really don't want to think about it, seriously!
Here's the recipe -
1 pack Ladies Fingers (click on the words 'ladies finger' to see how it looks like)
250ml Mascaporne cheese (click on the words 'Mascaporne cheese' to see how it looks like)
3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
300ml of instant coffee (ready made and let it cool)
1 tsp of essence of rum (if you prefer it with liquor you may add it otherwise you may follow my recipe)
4 eggs (separate the white from the yolks)
150ml sugar (you may adjust the amount to your preference)
crushed almond (optional)
Method of preparation:
1) Add the egg whites into a mixing bowl and use a mixer to whisk the egg white till foamy
2) Add half of the amount of sugar into the egg white and continue to whisk the egg white with the mixer at high speed till it forms stiff peaks. (watch how it's done here)
3) On a separate mixing bowl mix the egg yolk together with the remaining sugar till ribbon stage; you may either use the mixer or a hand whisk to do this (watch how it's done here)
4) Fold the egg white into the egg yolk (watch how it's done here); at this point you may also add the mascaporne cheese into the mixture and gently blend with the spatula till it's well mixed.
5) Add 1tsp of essence of rum into the 300ml of coffee and mix well.
6) Layer the ladies fingers one at a time at the bottom of your preferred container (I used a 10"x10" disposable square container); fill up the base then drizzle the coffee mixture spoonful by spoonful onto the ladies fingers (do not drench the ladies fingers otherwise it'll be very soggy).
7) Spoon a layer of the egg mixture and cover the entire surface of the ladies fingers
8) Sift the cocoa powder over on the surface of the egg mixture of step 7
9) Lay another layer of ladies fingers on top of the cocoa powder of step 8
10) Drizzle coffee mixture spoonful by spoonful on the ladies fingers
11) Lay another layer of egg mixture on top of the ladies fingers of step 10
12) Finally, you may add 1-2 tbsp of crushed almond into the remaining cocoa powder before sprinkling it on top of the final layer of egg mixture or you may omit the crushed almond and just sift the cocoa powder on top.
13) Chill the tiramisu for 2hours or more and serve chilled :)