Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Simply Home Cooked - Osmanthus Jelly (桂花糕)

I remember the first time I've ever tasted an Osmanthus dessert was at the Crystal Jade restaurant. I was captivated immediately by the wonderful aroma of Osmanthus even before I tasted the dessert. Since then, I've been wanting to learn how to make such a wonderful dessert however, to not much avail as at that time I didn't know where to look for the flower.
Was I glad to discover that Osmanthus was sold in the chinese medical shop, Hock Hua, here in Singapore. The small bottle that I bought costed about S$6.80. The moment I lifted the tin lid, Ooooooooooooooh the aroma was simply heavenly! This bottle is sufficient for me to make more than 50 times of the Osmanthus jelly *smile* it's quite a huge bottle consider the amount that's used on the jello. I'll probably have Osmanthus tea once more regularly then ;) 

The health benefits of Osmanthus as described on the bottle (I shall attempt to translate it): reduce phlegm and ease cough; ease toothache, reduce abdominal pains due to menopause. 

Here's some other interesting health benefits that Osmanthus offers: it promotes beautiful skin, digestion, detoxification, relieve fatigue and improve appetite. (Source: Noobcook)

It'll be advisable for you to check with a doctor if you are able to consume Osmanthus when you are pregnant or have a special medical history, just to be safe. 

Here's the recipe (adapted from Noobcook). The ingredients needed for this heavenly dessert are: 
  • 1 pack of Konnyaku premix jelly powder
  • 1tsp of Osmanthus for every 400gms of jelly powder (I used 3 tsp)
  • 3-4 tbsp Wolfberries (washed and soak in the water till it's puffed up)
  • Water chestnuts cut into small cubes (optional; variation of this is aloe vera cut into small cubes) 
  • Amount of water will be according to the instructions of the Konnyaku premix jelly powder. For the pack I bought I used 1250ml water. 

Method: 
  1. Place about 4-5 wolfberries into each of the jelly mould. Do likewise for the cubed water chestnut.
  2. Boil the water in a pot.
  3. Turn down the heat after the water is boiled, add the Osmanthus and simmer under low heat for 2 mins
  4. Pour the Konnyaku premix jelly powder gradually into the boiling water stirring at the same time until the powder is fully dissolved. Turn out the flame.
  5. Pour the jelly solution into each of the jelly mould; let it cool before placing the jelly mould into the refrigerator to set the jelly.


It was incredibly simple to make this tasty aromatic dessert. Try making some soon! 


No comments: