I remember the first time I've ever tasted an Osmanthus dessert was at the Crystal Jade restaurant. I was captivated immediately by the wonderful aroma of Osmanthus even before I tasted the dessert. Since then, I've been wanting to learn how to make such a wonderful dessert however, to not much avail as at that time I didn't know where to look for the flower.
Was I glad to discover that Osmanthus was sold in the chinese medical shop, Hock Hua, here in Singapore. The small bottle that I bought costed about S$6.80. The moment I lifted the tin lid, Ooooooooooooooh the aroma was simply heavenly! This bottle is sufficient for me to make more than 50 times of the Osmanthus jelly *smile* it's quite a huge bottle consider the amount that's used on the jello. I'll probably have Osmanthus tea once more regularly then ;)
The health benefits of Osmanthus as described on the bottle (I shall attempt to translate it): reduce phlegm and ease cough; ease toothache, reduce abdominal pains due to menopause.
Here's some other interesting health benefits that Osmanthus offers: it promotes beautiful skin, digestion, detoxification, relieve fatigue and improve appetite. (Source: Noobcook)
It'll be advisable for you to check with a doctor if you are able to consume Osmanthus when you are pregnant or have a special medical history, just to be safe.
Here's the recipe (adapted from Noobcook). The ingredients needed for this heavenly dessert are:
- 1 pack of Konnyaku premix jelly powder
- 1tsp of Osmanthus for every 400gms of jelly powder (I used 3 tsp)
- 3-4 tbsp Wolfberries (washed and soak in the water till it's puffed up)
- Water chestnuts cut into small cubes (optional; variation of this is aloe vera cut into small cubes)
- Amount of water will be according to the instructions of the Konnyaku premix jelly powder. For the pack I bought I used 1250ml water.
- Place about 4-5 wolfberries into each of the jelly mould. Do likewise for the cubed water chestnut.
- Boil the water in a pot.
- Turn down the heat after the water is boiled, add the Osmanthus and simmer under low heat for 2 mins
- Pour the Konnyaku premix jelly powder gradually into the boiling water stirring at the same time until the powder is fully dissolved. Turn out the flame.
- Pour the jelly solution into each of the jelly mould; let it cool before placing the jelly mould into the refrigerator to set the jelly.
It was incredibly simple to make this tasty aromatic dessert. Try making some soon!