It all began with my craving for clams and pasta, and the conclusion was to make Spaghetti Vongole!!! Putting the Happy Call pan to the test as it's claimed to have a scratch free surface due to its 3 layer ceramic coating. In addition, so many people have shared their wonderful clam dishes in the Happy Call Facebook group that drives my cravings for clams even stronger! :)
I was lucky that day when I was shopping at the wet market for clams. I walked past almost 4-5 stalls, and was at the verge of giving up on my search until one obscure stall caught my eye with an opaque plastic bag that contained the clams!!! It costed $5 for 1 kg of clams, that was really quite a lot of clams!
I've learned that to make the clams expel the sand you'd have to soak it for hours in salt water (ie. if the clams were harvested from the sea), insert a metal spoon to speed up the sand expelling process.
To prepare the clams simply scrub the shells after soaking and the sand has been expelled. Place the clams into the Happy Call pan with nothing else. Close the lid and cook it under medium low heat for approximately 5 mins (or when all the clam shells have opened up).
Dish the clams out, at this point, if you want to remove the clams from the shells you may do so, once the clams have cooled. Otherwise just set it aside.
I read somewhere on the internet that, should there be shells that didn't open up after it's being cooked, it's most likely not fresh. You may discard the clam. I found a "lone ranger" that refused to open its shell and so this little buddy was thrown into the bin (did not want to risk having a stomach upset).
Here's how to prepare this pasta.
Clams (I bought 1kg but you can always buy less)
Spaghetti (moderate the amount to your need)1 knob of butter (you may use 1tbsp of olive oil)
4 cloves of garlic (sliced)
1/2 cup of white cooking wine
1 small bunch of parsley (finely chopped)
1 red chilli (finely chopped)
Crushed black pepper to taste
*Note: I didn't use any salt because the clams itself is sufficiently salty.
1) Soak, clean and prepare clams as described above
2) Cook pasta until al dente (just about cooked, not soggy)
3) Heat up the Happy Call pan on medium heat and add the butter
4) Stir fry the garlic for a minute till fragrant
5) Add the clams and white wine; close the lid of the pan and let it cook for just 2mins (on medium heat)
6) Open the lid of the pan and add the chilli and parsley, turn out the flame.
7) Prepare the spaghetti on a plate and dish out the clams and white wine sauce over the pasta
8) Give the pasta a good toss, serve with crushed black pepper