Sunday, October 16, 2011

Happy Call Yummies - Chicken in Spicy Tomato Sauce

I will never forget the wonderful taste of Chicken Masak Merak, because since when I was little, we have a muslim neighbour (at my mom's place) who will send us wonderful food whenever they celebrate Hari Raya. In addition, during malay weddings, I'll get to eat this tasty chicken dish as well. I've noted in my heart that one day I must learn how to make this dish and enjoy it whenever I want to :)

My version might not be as good compared to the muslim neighbour's at my mom's place. But here goes -
I love the chicken thigh's meat so my natural choice would be the chicken thighs. I bought 6 pieces of chicken thigh meat. Rubbed it with tumeric powder & salt and set it aside for 30mins. 

Fry it till it's golden brown on each side. By frying is to seal the juice into the meat as well as give the chicken a firmer texture.

Prepare the paste by blending - 4-5 small red onions, 5 cloves of garlic, 5 stalks of lemon grass, 40gm ginger, 25gm galangal, 8-9 dried chillies (soaked and seeded). Process the ingredients into a fine paste.

Fry the spices - 2-3 Star Anise, 4 Cloves, 3 inches of cinnamon, 3 cardamom (I bought a pack of these mixed spices from Fairprice that was meant for braised meat). Saute the spices with 1tbsp of oil till fragrant.

Then add the blended paste. Stir-fry a little and close the lid for 3mins on medium high heat. Flip the pan a few times in between the cooking time.

Once the blended paste is cooked, add in the chicken meat, 1 can of tomato soup (I bought the Campbell tomato soup), 1 cup of water, 200ml of coconut milk, 1 tomato sliced (optional), salt to taste. Bring up to a quick boil and then simmer under low heat for 20-25mins (or until chicken is cooked). Open the lid a few times to do some light stirring.

I am amazed that this chicken dish can be so tasty even without curry powder. The spices and the onions, garlic, lemon grass etc has given this dish a wonderful aroma and make it exceptionally delish!

I've used the left over gravy for prata the next morning, I thought that's a great way to savour the gravy (every drop of it) *smile*

Here's the list of ingredients for easy reference:
6-8 pieces of chicken thigh meat.
8-9 Dried chillies, soaked
4-5 Small red onions
5 cloves of garlic
40g ginger
25g galangal (lengkuas)
5 lemongrass
2-3 star anise
4 cloves
3 inch of cinnamon
3 cardamom
1 can of tomato soup
1 pack (200ml) coconut milk (I'd recommend buying freshly squeezed coconut milk)
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1 tomato, optional

No comments: