Thursday, October 20, 2011

Exasperate Your Children (Not)

A few days ago, I was out to clear the trash and I ran into my neighbours next door. I overheard the daughter yelling at the top of her voice at her dad. She was apparently trying to remind her dad to lock both the main door and the gate (she repeatedly yelled at him with the same instructions and ended scolding her dad)
(Credit: Google Images)

I wasn't agreeable to the way the daughter was talking to the dad about the matter. But I would imagine that the daughter might have pent up frustrations towards the dad and she was using this occasion to vent. Which calls to mind this verse from the bible - "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." ~ Ephesians 6:4

I reflected on the incident as well as my own behaviour towards my parents during my younger years and I could certainly understand better of what's taught in the verse from Ephesians. Am definitely guilty of exasperating my kids in countless instances throughout my journey as a mom.

I am a daughter of my mom's and am now a mother of 2 children myself. I certainly want my children growing up with proper family values and respecting the elders be it at home or beyond the family. We have recently made Little Man and Little Missy memorize and practice handwriting with this verse - "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord" ~ Colossians 3:20 It is our hope that our kids will put what they have learned from this verse into practice everyday.


Above which, from henceforth, I must and should value my relationship with my children for it's a privilege to be a mother, they are great gifts from the Lord to me, they belong to our Heavenly Father, they are entrusted to me for their life time here and it's only temporary.

If I want them to grow up offering me grace, love and respect when I am old, I ought to give it to them now while they are here with me.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Well said.