Saturday, September 10, 2011

Happy Call Yummies

It's been three days since I started using my new toy, the Happy Call pan to prepare for our daily dinners. Can't deny the fact that I'm still working my way around the use of this pan. Have been used to cooking on frying pan and I still need some getting use to with the Happy Call. But I'd say, it's been fun thus far! 

One major lesson I've learned about using this pan is that timing and heat control is utmost important in preparing my meals successfully. Remember the charred teriyaki salmon I cooked? Well, I guess, I was too aggressive, thinking that this pan works like any other frying pan that needs extreme high heat in order to make fragrant crispy fish. Nothing could be further from the truth. The pressure cooking technology helps retain heat within the pan and hence food gets heated up very quickly, therefore this pan only requires low to medium low heat in most food preparation.

You'd need to trial and error with the use of this pan and don't be afraid to open up the lid if you need to. That's what I did when cooking the vegetables because I'm still learning to master the right timing with the correct heat control. I believe this pan is designed to help and since I've dumped in the $63, I should not make it a white elephant. Instead, I should overcome the odds to make this tool work for me! :)

Just thought I'd throw this out in the open. I have read in some forums and have also heard from a friend about her mom-in-law's experience when using this pan, the common complaint was that some how the sauces/oils leaked out in the process of flipping the pan; I've experienced tiny bits of onions spilling out of the pan while flipping. I realize that it's through the air vent that such leakages/spilling happen. To overcome the problem, you might want to tilt the pan a little upwards while flipping instead of tilting it downwards. So far, I've not experienced leakage of oil/sauces not even with the grilling of the lambchops. Given some practice, I guess such incidence of leakage would be kept to the minimum.

The recipe for this simple vegetable is - Green leafy vegetable (cai xin or xiao bai cai), 1 carrot (sliced), 2 cloves of garlic chopped, salt to taste, 2 tbsp of water. I didn't add oil while cooking this dish so the vegetables' natural nutrients were kept intact because it was steamed within the pan instead of fried. To cook this, just place all the ingredients (except the salt) into the pan. Fire up your stove to low heat. Set your kitchen timer to 3 mins. To be doubly sure that the vege is not overcooked, open up the lid to check and add salt at this point in time. Give it a swirl and flip to the other side and set the timer for another 2 mins. Before the time is up, you should be able to smell the aroma of garlic seeping through the pan. Give it another swirl and then flip the pan back to its original side and open the lid, by this time the vegetables should be cooked otherwise just close the lid and cook for 1 more min.  

Fried rice is the EASIEST to cook :) The ingredients used for this meal were - steamed rice, 2 eggs (beaten and fried as omelette), 2 salted egg yolks steamed and chopped (optional), 6 prawns shelled and deveined, carrots (diced), 2 chinese sausages 腊肠 (diced), 1 onion (diced), 1-2tbsp (based on your preference of saltiness) soya sauce to taste. Prepare the steamed rice in a rice cooker;  meanwhile, fry the omelette on the pan on low heat for 1 min and flip the pan and cook for another min. Dish out the omelette and set it aside. Add 1 tbsp oil and fry the onions for 1min (without closing the lid) in medium low heat, after which add in ALL the ingredients, close the lid, keep the heat at medium low. Set the timer to 3 mins. When the time's up, open the lid and add the soya sauce. Close the lid and give the pan a swirl or two, then flip over. Set the timer for another 2-3 mins, once the time's up, give the pan another swirl and flip over to its original side. Serve with shredded omelette and chopped spring onions!


Grilled lamb chops on greens. Marinate lamb chops (you may use pork chops too) with salt, pepper, rosemary for at least 30mins. For the vegetables I've used broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (for variation, you might want to use celery and carrot). Place chopped garlic, sliced carrots, broccoli and cauliflower into the pan with 2 tbsp of water cook it under low heat for 4 mins on one side, when the time's up, open the lid and add in salt to taste, close the lid and swirl the pan before flipping over. Give it another 3-4 mins before swirling and flipping back to its original position. Once cooked dish out the vegetables set it aside. Clean the pan and prepare to grill the lamb chops.

Fire up the stove on low heat and place all the lamb chops into the pan (no oil is required as the lamb meat itself has loads of fats). Close the lid and cook for 5 mins. When the timer goes off flip over to the other side of the pan and cook for another 5 mins. Flip the pan back to its original position and turn up the heat to medium high and cook for another 1-2 mins (my lamb chops were made medium well). If you prefer the meat to be medium, then you need to cook the meat only 3-4 mins on each side of the pan on low heat and then 1-2mins on medium high.

If you'd like brown sauce for the meat, on medium low heat, add 1 tbsp of butter into the pan (with the brown remnants from cooking the meat) scrape up the brown stuff from the pan with a wooden spatula then add 1 tbsp of worcester sauce stir in 1/2 cup beef broth and bring to a boil. If you like a thicker consistency, you may drizzle some cornstarch solution into the pan. Once done, you may scoop up the sauce and pour it over the meat.

The grilled lamb chops were served with brown rice, but if you like you may serve it with mash potatoes as well.

Bon Appetit!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pauline, great writeup!

re. fried rice, how many cups of rice did u manage to cook in your pan?

Thanks
Carolyn

Lena said...

Pauline, THANK YOU so much for sharing :) Your detailed recipe will definitely helps people like me who know nuts in the kitchen! God bless, thank you.

Mama Bliss said...

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for stopping by here to read this super long blog post :) I bought a Happy Call "Deeper" pan so I was able to cook approximately 2 cups of fried rice in this pan. For the basic pan I don't think it's possible to do any fried rice cooking.

Hope that helps! :)

Mama Bliss said...

You're most welcome Lena :) I shall share more recipes in time to come :) simple home cooked recipes of course! :)

CE said...

Hi thanks for yr great sharing.
For the vege dish the end result looks like steamed vege in the photo. Hence how is the taste different compare to simply steaming it? Possible to add oyster sauce near the end like usual frying? Won't the sause or water spill when flipping? Also will it be difficult to wash the sauce away since there is rubber?
Sorry for asking so many details as am really interested but had tried non-stick pan before and the vege just tasted bland without the 'fried' taste.

Mama Bliss said...

Hi CE, yes indeed the vege turns out to be steamed therefore could retain all the natural goodness of the vege within. The caixin I cooked that day tasted naturally "sweet" (not sugary type of sweetness though) the chinese calls it 原汁原味, if you know what I mean? You may add oyster sauce just before the vege is cooked in the pan that's no problem at all. For me, I added just 1/2 tsp of salt and it's already very tasty.

Honestly, it's not cooked with oil therefore it will not taste like that of fried vegetables on regular pan. But you can also fry it with oil if you like just be careful with the heat control and time it properly.

The beauty of this pan is that you reduce the chance of getting in contact with harmful smoke and oil directly. Plus the food retains the natural goodness/taste/nutrients, you can be sure that you are eating healthier plus it reduces the time of cooking thus reduce the usage of gas.

You can clean this pan easily just like any other frying pan. You may clean the pan with a damp cloth or kitchen paper towel before washing it with detergent it'll be much easier to clean away any oily residue.

As I've shared, the water/sauce/oil leakage/spills usually comes through the air vent behind the pan not the sides, so if you flip without tilting downwards it should do the trick.

No worries about the many questions :) I am really no expert in this pan as I've just bought it, but I share whatever I know and have encountered in my process of using this pan with everyone hopefully it'll help others to understand the use of this pan better :) by the way, I need to clarify, I am not paid in anyway by HappyCall to do this at all hehehe cos I paid for my own pan and share willingly on my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mama Bliss,

I am so tempted to get the pan after ur reviews; have not cooked any decent meal for my family before coz my stove is built in the middle of the kitchen n I dread cleaning up after cooking.

Can I check with you if you bought ur deeper version of this pan from the agent or is there any other source to buy from?

Thank you for sharing!

Cheers... Melody

Anonymous said...

Hi Mama Bliss,

Oops.. Sori, I juz read ur previous post that u bought ur pan from Gmarket. However, being a first timer, can I check if you choose deep pan version on the pan type button n wat abt the no. of sealer (coz I tot that the new version comes with sealer already). Am worry might purchase a counterfeit or old version pan.

Many thks again!

Cheers.. Melody

Mama Bliss said...

HI Melody,

Thanks for your comment, I bought my pan through GMarket and the distributor was from Korea. I have friends who ordered from this distributor - Star Buy, this distributor is located in South Korea.

The pan already comes with a sealer but you have an option to purchase extras in case you wish to replace it once the existing one wears out. You can opt not to purchase it as well.

If you wish to start with a basic pan that will also be cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mama Bliss,

Thanks for your fast response!! ;)

Oh.. Mayb I will try out the distributor listed above then. Perhaps I will also get the deep version type so that in the long run it will be more worthwhile (dun have to buy two pans =D).

By the way, I am also a SAHM n have been on tis "job" for 4 yrs and counting... It's really nice to know more abt other tings from your blog, thks!! I will be back to chit chat more if u dun mind. =D

Mama Bliss said...

You're most welcome Melody. Yes, do come back here often as I will be sharing more recipes of the food I use HappyCall pan to prepare :)

Ruth said...

Thanks so much for your write ups about this pan!! I've never heard of it until now! (mountain tortoise.. whahaha) You're so tempting me to buy this. So a quick question, does the pan give that nice 'wok hei' for the fried dishes?

Mama Bliss said...

Hey Ruth, thanks for stopping by my blog :) I would say this pan doesn't come with much wok hei bec most of the time i cook without oil but I am assured that the food has retained its nutrition value and the vegetables are so tender and tasty even w/o oil :)

Hosanna said...

Hi Mamabliss,

Thanks for your great sharing... Looking forward to trying it out soon... Check with you, when u fry fish or vegetables, do you prefry the ginger slices and chopped garlic respectively first? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Anyone tried pizza with Happy Call?

Anonymous said...

Have been using this brown pan for many dishes already. Actually just been stealing all kinds of recipes from all those posted on blogs and experimenting with heat control and timing. But the end results were pretty good since the family had no complaints but only praises for my new found skills. BTW I am a retiree house husband now located in Saigon, Vietnam. Cheers