Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Simply Home Baked - Ham & Cheese Roll

I've taken a baking break for over a week due to having to nurse a full-blown flu (runny-nose, cough, headache...and all the works) just a few days before I came down with the flu, I had the inclination (premonition maybe? *shrug*) that I was going to be sick because I haven't fell ill (this badly) since coming back from my holidays in December last year.
Sorry, I digressed! Before I had taken ill, this Ham & Cheese Roll was what I baked and I've been asked to share the recipe because it looks Oooooh too delicious! *smile*

It's really not difficult if you have a bread maker to roll the dough. Speaking of dough, I've recently discovered a great basic loaf recipe that makes the most perfectly soft/fluffy bread! Most of the time, the breads that I've baked in the past always turned out too dense and dry just after a day, but not this one!

Shaping breads is so therapeutic and most satisfying! You determine the shape you want your bread to be and best of all you get homemade "artisan" bread all within the kitchen of your home!

Alright enough said, here is the recipe that you've been waiting for:

Ingredients
(Basic Loaf)
320gms Bread Flour
80gms Top Flour
20gms Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Yeast
1 egg
100ml cold water
120ml cold fresh milk
30gms butter (or margarine)

Other Ingredients
1 pack of honey baked ham (or picnic ham) sliced into halves (you probably don't need the entire pack)
1 pack cheddar cheese (shredded)
Mayonnaise

Method of preparation
Depending on your bread machine, you'd need to place the ingredients for the dough according to the instructions given in the operating manual. Breville bread maker requires all the wet ingredients to be placed first, followed by the dry ingredients.
1) Add into the bread maker, water, milk and eggs followed by the flour, salt, sugar and lastly yeast. Allow the machine to roll the dough for 5 mins before adding butter into the mixture (while the machine is still at work).
2) Once the machine has stopped kneading allow the dough to leaven till the bread maker indicates when it's done.
3) Once the dough is ready, divide the dough into small balls weighing 40gms each.
4) With a rolling pin, roll each of the small ball of dough into flat strips approximately 15cm(long) x 2cm(wide)
5) Place the half a slice of ham onto the strip of dough and roll it up as you'd a swiss roll, set it aside.
6) Then place 3 rolls of the dough with ham in a triangular shape on the baking tray; do likewise for the rest of the dough with ham rolls.
7) Brush some egg wash (beaten egg with milk) on surface. Squeeze in some mayonnaise in the middle of each of the roll and sprinkle some cheese above.
8) Preheat the oven at 200C; bake for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Your recipe makes me want to run out and get a breadmaker...but no space in the kitchen!!! and I will probably have to stuff my face with my homemade bread after that cos I am like the only bread lover at home :( I think have to stick to baking other stuff with the oven...

Mama Bliss said...

HAHA... actually, I wouldn't be bothered to bake bread if there's no one eating them at home too :D

MamaJ said...

Thanks for sharing the bread recipe... I really needed a good basic loaf recipe, so far all those I've tried are pretty chewy and don't stay soft!

expert contabil said...

Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.