Thursday, August 18, 2011

Simply Home Baked - Am Baking Again

I've been baking enthusiastically in my kitchen the past week or so and have been finding joy in this hobby all over again. Since my live-in helper left over a year ago, I've not been baking much as I often feel lazy having to clean up after each baking session.
A sudden craving for quiche made me started my baking expedition once again. The result of the quiche helped me kick the inertia off! I've been looking through all the recipe books ferociously making a mental note of which recipe I want to try for my next bake!
Decided that I should "resurrect" my bread maker that has been left dormant for over a year since I last made some kaya jam. This is definitely a WONDER machine as I've always liken it to be!

Many of my friends asked me which bread maker am I using, well, mine's a Breville. It's an Aussie brand bread maker and it has served me very well for the past 6 years! It's still in good working condition though I believe this model that I have must have been made obsolete already. If you want to know more about Breville bread maker check out this link.

I have not used any other brands of bread maker before but I'd say, I love my Breville!
My first attempt on baking an Apple Cinnamon Bread at the request of the hubs. Fortunately, it turned out well and it was all devoured within a day! *beaming*
This Apple Cinnamon Bread makes a very good snack for the afternoon tea. Pair this snack with a cup of Earl Grey... Ooooh... simply delightful. You'll find the recipe at the bottom of this post :)
I've been baking simple loaves the past 2 days and I'd say it's really a joy to have freshly baked breads daily. You decide what to put into your bread and best of all you are quite sure that there are no undesirable chemicals being added into your bread!

Contrary to the "Cook A Pot of Curry" event, I made this curry simply because of my personal craving for curry that coincidentally falls within the same week that the event will be held!

Recipe for the Apple Cinnamon Bread
Ingredients:
(bread dough)
400gms high protein flour
100gms top flour (super fine flour)
10gms (2tsp) instant yeast
5 gms (1tsp) salt
100gms sugar
20gms milk powder
2 eggs
200ml water
80gms butter

(cinnamon spread)
10gms Cinnamon powder
60gms brown sugar
50gms raisins
50gms chocolate chips (I used Hershey's mini chocolate chips)
1 apple (diced)
30gms crushed almonds

Method of preparation:
Depending on your bread machine, you'd need to place the ingredients for the dough according to the instructions given in the operating manual. Breville bread maker requires all the wet ingredients to be placed first, followed by the dry ingredients.
1) Add into the bread maker, water and eggs followed by the flour, milk powder, salt, sugar and lastly yeast. Allow the machine to roll the dough for 5 mins before adding butter into the mixture (while the machine is still at work).
2) Once the machine has stopped kneading allow the dough to leaven till the bread maker indicates when it's done.
3) Divide the dough into 3 portions, and roll them into balls and proof for 10 mins.
4) Roll out the bread dough (with a rolling pin) to dimensions of approximately 10x12 inches. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar, raisins, diced apple, crushed almonds and chocolate chips evenly.
5) Roll up the dough (like you would a swiss roll) and cut it into 6 parts. Placed the rolls into a 7-inch greased cake mould, leave it to proof for another 10 mins.
6) Brush egg wash onto the cinnamon bread and place it into a pre-heated oven. Bake at 190C for 25 - 30 mins.

Have fun!!!

4 comments:

Princess G. said...

Pauline, you are gifted and you are a gift!

Mama Bliss said...

Thanks Princess G :) I've been blessed hence I am to bless ;)

Rachel said...

Looks delish...I am also planning to bake more often esp since I need to test out the new oven ;). Notice I use the word 'plan'... so much I wanna do but so limited time.

Mama Bliss said...

LOLz Rachel, set aside just one day to make the "plan" happen ;) start with something simple first ;D