Thursday, February 10, 2011

No More Ironing Woes!

Of all the chores at home the one that I DETEST MOST would be ironing! For years I made sure that the clothes that I purchase are of fabric that require no ironing or minimal ironing...fabric such as lycra, chiffon, jersey etc... that made ironing very painless for me...

However, since our live-in helper left a year ago, the ironing of hubby's work shirts were taken care of by an external source which recently have taken an abrupt halt. We then had to send hubby's shirts to the laundromat for pressing which the sum come up quite hefty each week (approximately $20-30) and we know this can't go on as we shouldn't be making this expense just because I detest ironing.
As luck would have it, a fellow mom (also a neighbour) shared about her experience using the Novita garment steamer and was raving about how quick she could get her ironing job done. That triggered my interest in the idea of steaming shirts as oppose to ironing!

I suggested to hubby briefly about getting a set of our own as this could potentially save us $$$, time and tears. I believe this is one of the quickest decisions about getting a new household gadget that hubby has ever made! He jumped right on the idea and got me a set of Novita SS19 garment steamer that very afternoon!

I was gleaming with joy at the very thought of all my ironing woes being eradicated. Far from my imagination, my first attempt on using the Novita SS19 was painful (extremely painful)!!! The hanging stand was unstable and was shifting a lot whenever I tried to steam the shirt, I couldn't pull the shirt straight enough to get the crease off the shirt, my fingers got mildly scalded by the steam, droplets of water was dripping out of the steamer as I was at the job... the list went on... and I struggled over 2 hours to get only 3 shirts done. I thought I'd never use the garment steamer anymore and was wondering if we had made the right decision to get the garment steamer in the first place.
Didn't want to put our S$300+ to waste and we certainly have enough white elephants at home, I'd better learn how to use this tool well for sake of our pockets. I dreaded the ironing for almost a week and have accumulated more than 10 sets of working attire to have done... After consulting my neighbour about the usage of the gadget, with the aid of an ironing glove and 2 kitchen mittens, I pulled out the Novita SS19 and started on the job!

I was slow working on the first two shirts... and as I get the hang of steaming the shirts it just got easier... and I could complete 1 work shirt in less than 8mins flat! The shirts are now nicely steamed and straightened... *beaming* I wouldn't trade the garment steamer for a traditional iron to straighten hubby's work shirts anymore!

If you are considering to get a garment steamer, you'd need to be mentally prepared to give yourself time to practice using it. With practice and persistence your ironing woes would definitely be eradicated! ;)

Here's a video I found on Youtube that demonstrates how effective a garment steamer works on various types of fabric. This is however not the brand that I got (can't seem to find a video of Novita though). So marvel at how easy it is to get all the creases out of your clothes...




5 comments:

Rose said...

I hate ironing too. I never like to iron hubby's clothing but if need to, I will use steamer. We have an aunt that do the housechore and ironing for us once a week. So not much problem there. Lol!

Anonymous said...

i was facing the same problem as you cause i was taking too long to iron one shirt... after much consideration, i got a steamer as well... it really breeze my task from 20 mins to 8 mins...

CE said...

Thanks for the suggestion! May I know where is this selling? thanks!

Anonymous said...

hi, may i know where to buy the ironing glove..?
i have the same garment steamer at home but it's white elephant now.

Mamabliss said...

You may find it at Daiso :)