Thursday, August 12, 2010

Simply One Pot - Chestnut Pork Stew

When I was little I always enjoyed this particular dish that was prepared by my mom. It's still one of my favourite dishes that's made by my mom.

Just yesterday, I was craving for it and I made a quick phone call to my mom to ask for the recipe. I can't believe how simple it was to prepare it because the ingredients required were so few :)
Contrast to the regular braised pork, this dish tasted less salty and because no spices were required the natural sweetness of the chestnuts were not marred by the soya sauce and spices. Mmmmmm it tasted heavenly!

*Chestnut health facts:
Contains vit B1, B2, C. High in fibre. Low in fats and rich in minerals. Read more about the health benefits of this great nut here.

Here's how you could prepare it.

Ingredients:
Chestnuts (I bought it fresh from the wet market with the shells already removed); alternatively, you may also buy the dried chestnuts, though it's not as tasty as the fresh ones)
500gms Pork belly (sliced thickly)
1 bulb of garlic (gently crush with skin in tact)
3-4 tbsp light soya sauce (you may add more if you like it salty)
1.5 tbsp sugar
2 bowls of hot water (sufficient to cover the pork & chestnuts in the saucepan/pot)

Method of preparation:
1) To remove the skin of the chestnuts, place the chestnuts (shells already removed) into a pot of boiling water on the stove; boil for 3-5mins. Peel the skin with a small knife, it should be easy to remove the skin while the chestnuts are still warm. Set it aside.
2) Scald the pork in boiling water for 2-3mins. Set it aside.
3) Heat 1tbsp oil in wok (or saucepan), fry the garlic till fragrant.
4) Add the pork and stir fry for 2 mins.
5) Add light soya sauce and fry the pork for another 1-2mins.
6) Stir in the chestnuts and fry for a little while.
7) Pour in the hot water with the water level barely covering the pork & chestnuts.
8) Bring it to a boil then simmer under low heat for 2 hours (or until the chestnuts and pork is tender).
9) Add in the sugar after the chestnuts & pork has turned tender and boil under low heat for another 5-10mins.

Serve with a bowl of white rice and there you have a meal on its own ;)




4 comments:

CE said...

Me too love chestnut with pork!! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)
In my case I cooked it like the peanut pork soup but use chestnut insead of peanut. Just need to add pork, chestnut then cook for 2hr or so, the soup will be so sweet w/o adding anything.
However I've problem removing the skin. It took me such a long time and painful fingernails.

mamabliss said...

Hi CE,

Thanks for sharing your recipe too :) chestnuts has always been my favourite so now I know a new recipe to prepare it :)

To remove the skin (presuming the shells have been removed), my mom said to boil the chestnuts in water and then use a knife to peel the skin off. I did it quite easily. Try it next time :)

mamabliss said...

Hi CE,

Thanks for sharing your recipe too :) chestnuts has always been my favourite so now I know a new recipe to prepare it :)

To remove the skin (presuming the shells have been removed), my mom said to boil the chestnuts in water and then use a knife to peel the skin off. I did it quite easily. Try it next time :)

mamabliss said...

Hi CE,

Thanks for sharing your recipe too :) chestnuts has always been my favourite so now I know a new recipe to prepare it :)

To remove the skin (presuming the shells have been removed), my mom said to boil the chestnuts in water and then use a knife to peel the skin off. I did it quite easily. Try it next time :)