Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Never Say Never!!!

Ever since the kids started school this year, they've brought back lots of habits, some were great but some irked me to no end!

I am not sure if anyone of you have had the same or similar experience but it's just so hard to get them to kick that irritating habit when the kids come home saying things such as -

Example 1) Mommy, my friend, J, NEVER come to school...

Example 2) No, this is not your ONE, it's my ONE...

Example 3) No LAH!!!!

I know this is part of our daily life ie. Singlish and it's also something unique about being a Singaporean... and I shouldn't be surprise when the kids come home with their English peppered with all these because they get to mingle with other children more often now but it's really irritating!!!

I tried in all efforts not to speak this way in front of the kids and have taken a lot of trouble to correct them whenever I hear those pesky 'NEVER', 'my ONE', and 'no LAH'... it just seemed to get worse not better... gosh...I need help!

6 comments:

Arkerchi said...

oh yes... Mine came back with the 'lah's, 'loh's, 'one's, 'it is there WHAT'... and it irks me A LOT. So, I catch her and correct her, then she went around in school correcting her teachers saying,"Teacher Natasha, you cannot say 'loh'." and she will keep saying that till the teacher apologised.

Mama Bliss said...

Hi Arkerchi, yeah... I was caught a few times by my kids when I said "AH" too :P hee...

B@bYh|r0Sh| said...

sigh.... unfortunately, my kids comes home with all these bad english too! my hiroshi says WHERE GOT?!? i am at my end wits too! tell me what to do when you found the solution....

Tin said...

Err... I wasn't too concern about their singlish although I tried to correct them sometimes... because basically I was the one imparting them all the Singlish skills ... Hahaha! Sorry :(

Anonymous said...

i have this problem as well. But in a reverse way. Kimberly thought it's cool to say "lah". She would say,"it's mine...(pause).... lar (afterthought)"
All her classmates said them and she tried so hard to remember to incorporate it into her sentences as well...sigh..

christene tee said...

oh dear, hope my comment went thru. I typed too fast just now. Was just saying that I have the same issue as well.