Monday, April 26, 2010

Simply One Pot - Peanut Porridge

What do you cook that's one pot, totally hassle-free and suitable for rainy days?
Porridge, of course!!! *smile* I love cooking porridge cos it's completely fuss-free and absolutely quick to whip up!

I love my porridge with chilli that explains why you see it in my bowl of mush... *wink* On days, when I just totally do not wish to wash up loads of pots and pans, and when I totally have ran out of ingredients in the refrigerator (yet too lazy to go for grocery shopping) this is what I will cook!

Today, the ingredients I have in my stash are a pack of minced chicken meat, frozen scallops and a pack of peanuts... so without much prep work, I made sure the minced chicken and frozen scallops were defrost, washed and dump everything into the crock pot... can't get anything easier than that... *grin*

Here's the ingredients -
100gms minced chicken meat (or minced pork)
4-5 pieces of fresh scallops (optional, though I thought that kind of enhance the taste of the porridge)
50gms dried peanuts (soaked. Quantity in moderation according to your preference)
1/2 cup rice (I used mixed grain rice but you may just use white rice)
Fish sauce or soya sauce (in moderation according to your preference)

Method of preparation -
1) Boil the rice in 4-5 cups of water in a saucepan till you notice the rice is cooked
2) Pour the entire lot of rice (with the water, add more water if need be), and all other ingredients (except fish sauce) into a crock pot and leave it to cook for up to 3hrs+
3) Once it's cooked to the consistency of your preference you may add a moderate amount of fish sauce to taste and stir evenly.
4) Add the condiments of your choice (eg. spring onions etc) and a dash of pepper. serve!

*Note: if you want the porridge to taste better you may use chicken stock or stock boiled from sweet corn instead of plain water.

Enjoy your meal! *smile*

5 comments:

jean said...

hi pauline, this is delicious! i love it with a little soy sauce and sesame oil with dried shallot... lovely!

Rose said...

I love porridge especially on hot day....too lazy to think what to cook.

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

It looks absolutely scrumptious and colourful! I love all your Simply One Pot dishes! Great for days when we are just too tired to cook up a storm!

Etceteramommy said...

Yummy!!! Somehow I never tried eating porridge served with chili. I'm curious how it taste like.

Eileen said...

Oooo...makes me crave for porridge! Shall make that soon :)