Friday, April 09, 2010

Simply One Pot - Macaroni Soup

As a SAHM without a live-in helper, I would need to effectively use the limited time that's on my hands... after a month or two of adjustment, I finally decided to prepare more one-pot meals during the week as opposed to cooking the traditional 2 dish + 1 soup meals. This means less oil, less cleaning to be done.

One of our all time favourite one-pot meals is this super easy yet tasty & healthy meal!
A way to make a nice naturally sweet soup base is to include this cob of corn (珍珠玉米). It's uniquely sweet, rather different from the ordinary sweet corn we get from the market.
All I need to do is to dump all the ingredients (except the prawns & macaroni) into the soup pot; bring to a boil then simmer for over an hour.
Top it with your favourite garnish and voila a delicious and healthy meal!

Ingredients:
2 chicken thigh
1 chicken carcass (bones)
2 cobs of corn
2 carrots, cut (optional)
200gms prawns, shells removed
Green Vegetables (optional)
Cooked macaroni

Method of preparation:
1) Place chicken thigh, chicken carcass, corns, carrots into a pot of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour over. Once chicken thigh is cooked, remove from the soup and tear the meat and side it aside for later.
2) Cook macaroni (boil in water for 12-15mins), set it aside for later.
3) Cook green vegetable, prawns (boil in water), set it aside for later.
4) Place macaroni, green vegetable, prawns and chicken meat into a bowl.
5) Once the soup is ready add 2 tbsp soya sauce to taste; pour it into the bowl of macaroni
6) Top it with chilli and spring onions

Bon appetit!

9 comments:

Rose said...

That sounds simple and tasty. I must give it a try! Me with 2 kids, havent have much time to cook, so one pot dish is great!

byihui said...

i cook this all the time for J! do share more of your other one-pot dishes, pauline! i think u r managing great on your own :)

Mama Bliss said...

Hi Rose, yeah this is indeed one of the simplest meals of all... sometimes, when I've ran out of ideas I'll just prepare this for dinner :)

Mama Bliss said...

Hi YiHui, yeah, am planning to share more one pot wonders as I go along...thanks for the encouragement...still trying my best to balance everything :)

Rachel said...

Looking forward to more one-pot recipe =)
I'm caring for my 2 boys alone and these easy, fast and healthy dishes sure can save my day!

Cheok-Co-Late said...

HI! Im glad i found your blog! looked through some of your homeschool activities, they look really fun! Do you use montessori method (saw some activities related to Monte)? Or a mixture? :) Please keep sharing (i wana steal some ideas!). :P

mamabliss said...

Hello Cheok-Co-Late, I'm glad you've stopped by here :) it's a pleasure to have you.

Yes I do use a mixture of Montessori plus other methods to help my kids learn. Thanks for your kind compliments... I don't have a system that I follow so I just do anything and everything that's focused on the 3Rs (Reading/Writing/Arithmetic) with my kids... but mostly we learn through play (that's what I like hee)...

Will definitely share more ideas albeit not here at my personal blog... am working on an exciting project with a partner now that's related to home learning... when it's launched it'll be announced here so do check back again...

by the way, I enjoyed reading your blog...so INTERESTING!!! I just might also "steal" your ideas too hehehe... I've bookmarked your blog so will definitely check back often!

Cheok-Co-Late said...

OH im excited! Please do a loud shout out when you are ready to launch your project. :) Yes, i get what you mean. I don't have a system either! Its so impromptu! :P Oh well. Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I will be linking your site to mine so that i can be kept updated! Let me know if you are not comfy with this ya? :) Keep in touch!

MamaJ said...

Hello! Just came across your blog while browsing... :) Thanks for sharing recipes... I'm a SAHM too, so I really love simple meals too!