Monday, April 19, 2010

HFMD hits home!

Since packing the kids to school, I've been pre-warned of the kids' susceptibility to diseases that spread around the confined environment which are packed with young children... well I sent the kids off with my eyes wide opened...

HFMD hit us last week and honestly, I wasn't even prepared for this as it has never occurred to me that the disease will hit home. Just last year, I laughed to scorn where reports of HFMD being an epidemic during certain times of the year, and smirked that my kids were homeschooled and therefore have been spared from the danger of being exposed to the disease. Now that I've been hit, I realized how "evil" I was to have scorned and smirked, felt truly bad that this was no joking matter at all.
Little Missy was down with the pesky disease and was home bound for an entire week. During this time of rest, it was like a nightmare - only thing was the nightmare lasted for a whole week!

I only discovered that her throat area was infested with tiny ulcers that caused her great pain hence she's been drooling a lot refusing to even swallow her own saliva. We had thought it was only a strep throat that she's down with and was hoping that she'll recover in just a couple of days... more puny little red/white spots started to appear under her tongue, and within just a day, more ulcers began to sprout out like wild mushrooms... I've lost count of them totally!

As you can imagine, how it must have felt with a mouth-full of ulcers (I probably would become cranky and whine in pain just like Little Missy did)... fluids was her cure for as we've found out from the HPB that there's no medicine that could rid the disease except for the body to recover on its own. The wait for recovery was painful because having to care for a sick child, and run around all the meals preparation, the laundry and some basic washing was seriously not fun at all... however, to my surprise, I handled it all to my stride and had lots of patience to spare during this period (all praise goes to my Heavenly Father).

Little Missy was dopey most of the time as she hardly ate any solids, she was only willing to drink ribena and honey drink during, I relented, and could only try to ease her discomfort as much as possible. She watched loads of Hi-5 videos during the past week... the only program that could captivate her in front of the telly beyond 30mins.

Throughout the process of recovery, I was just thankful that I was given the time to be with Little Missy on a one-to-one basis. I was also grateful that I could be there for her and to comfort her when she needed me most... I won't be able to do the same had I been a FTWM.

The day when she started to ask for chicken rice, I knew the usual Little Missy was back... and with a vengeance for she ate like she's never ate before, her appetite was so good that it amazed me :)

This episode had taught me not to take little things for granted and had also taught me to never scoff at others misfortune but to truly empathize and also be prepared because it could hit anyone of us when we least expect it to!

6 comments:

Wenz 宛仟 & Denz 浩安 said...

Really glad to hear the recovery of Little Missy. I think sick child will pain their parents most as mum and dad also go thru the same painful process with the child. U r one super mum and I believe with the strength and wisdom god has given u, u will be able to overcome watever tat is cmg in ur way! Jia You!!!!

Angie said...

Thank God she has recovered! I can totally empathise with you because I remember being hit with a disease with similar symptoms to HFMD together with Alicia when she was just a baby... both of us had an abundance of ulcers and high fever... fortunately because she was young and relying only on breastmilk then, things were a lot easier though I knew it always hurt to drink milk upon waking up and the first morning feed was always the hardest.

Rose said...

Glad everything is well over there. I am on alert too here although no cases of HFMD but with a schooling kid, everything is possible as exposure to other kids and external forces are higher.

Take care

Mama Bliss said...

Thanks Irene, indeed it wasn't easy managing a sick child and other than providing her with hugs and drinks I don't know what else I could do to make her feel better... but am glad i've been through the process :)

Mama Bliss said...

Wow Angie, that must have been really tough on both you and the baby... such experience really does make you feel that there's nothing more important than good health huh...

Mama Bliss said...

Yeah Rose, places where a lot of kids congregate together are "high risk" area... just have to be more vigilant with the washing of hands and build the habit into the kids to being more hygienic...