Friday, February 05, 2010

Simply Homecooked - It's Lunar New Year!!!

What is Lunar New Year without the goodies? Two of my favourite goodies are Pineapple Tarts and BBQ Pork Jerky (肉干). During this time of the year, it's natural that making these goodies personally creates the season's atmosphere *smile*
I love the aroma while baking the pineapple tarts and this year, I prepared & baked them single handedly, it was certainly a great sense of achievement. I bought myself a tart mould that was much easier to handle than the previous ones...so using the right tools do make the process more efficient *grin*

I like the Pineapple Tarts recipe that was shared by WokkingMum, it was so easy to follow. I only added something extra (ie. 30gms of milk powder) to make the tart more aromatic!
I was craving for the chinese BBQ Pork Jerky (肉干) recently and bought a pack of 200gms 肉干 from 美珍香 and that costed me $9!!! Unbelievably expensive during this season of the year to purchase these BBQ Pork Jerky.

Imagine my thrill when I discover the recipe for homemade BBQ Pork Jerky *smile*. It looked fairly easy and the ingredients could be easily obtainable. Didn't need to BBQ just bake it, how convenient! :)
The results of my first attempt was not that fantastic but it was rather tasty. My only grouse was that the temperature control of the oven was not satisfactory. Some parts of the jerky didn't turn out as well done as I want it to be. I had to adjust the temperature to much higher than the indicated temperature in the recipe... so if you wish to try this recipe, you might have to trial & error with the temperature control of your oven.

To bake this Honey Pork Jerky, here's the recipe -
Ingredients
500gms minced pork (30% fatty)
Honey
3 tbsp char siu sauce
1 tbsp chinese rose wine
2 tsp light soy sauce
2 tsp sugar

Method of Preparation
1) Prepare marinade sauce by mixing the char siu sauce, chinese rose wine, light soy sauce and sugar together.
2) Marinade minced pork and set it aside for over an hour.
3) Preheat oven to 170C. Spread a portion of pork on baking paper. Cover with cling wrap (or a sheet of baking paper). Flatten with a rolling pin to 2mm thick.
4) Place pork together with baking paper on oven tray. Put into preheated oven. Bake at 170C for 20mins until set.
5) Remove and drain oil. Turn the pork over and bake for 15mins.
6) Turn the oven temperature up to 200C. Spread moderate amount of honey on both sides of pork. Bake each side for 4mins*

*Note: be sure to stand by the oven to ensure the pork is not charred.

3 comments:

crazymommy said...

Yours look good!! Mine turned up ok only.I think the taste of my bak kwa still needs some improvement. Maybe I will try spreading some honey before baking next time. :)

Wynn said...

aw.... i want to eat the pineapple tarts...=(

Joyce Long said...

you are really a marvellous chef...