Monday, September 14, 2009

Simply Homecooked - Mac & Cheese with Ham

Recently had a MSN chat with Mama Seah and she gave me an idea to work on a new recipe for the kids... Mac & Cheese... must confess that I didn't know what Mac & Cheese was when she mentioned... guess am not quite a western foodie *smile*

With a quick googling exercise, I found myself a perfect recipe to work on the Mac & Cheese. I modified it a little by adding chicken ham as I thought that will give interest to the overall taste... as I don't think I like it plain with just macaroni and cheese... (can't live without meat)...I toasted the chicken ham in the toaster oven for 5-6mins before cutting them into pieces.

And so, here are the basic ingredients I've used in this dish.
Ingredients - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp plain flour, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp mixed herbs, 1/2 tsp paprika (optional), 1/2 tsp white pepper, 1 tbsp Dijonnaise Mustard, 1/2 cup Japanese Bread Crumbs, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 2.5 cups milk, a pinch of mixed spices, 4 slices chicken ham (cut into pieces).

I didn't add any salt as I think the cheese is salty enough... you might want to add 1tsp salt if you like. I can't find any Cayenne in the supermarts around my neighbourhood so I substituted with paprika... not sure if that tasted the same as what's said in the original recipe though *smile*

Watch this video on how to prepare this dish... the video enticed me into trying this in fact :)

And here's my Mac & Cheese...

This Mac & Cheese tasted great when served hot as the cheese is still cheesy and smooth...but once cooled it turned dry and hard... on the whole it was delish... I love the cheesy taste and the aroma of the cheddar... try it, it's nice!

3 comments:

Val said...

U can actually skip the step on toasting the ham, since they are ready-to-eat, and the entire dish will be baked anyway?
Overcooking will cause the meat to become dry and tough.
I would prefer fresh chicken diced meat over ham since cured meat contains curing agent which is carcinogenic. Once a while should be fine, i eat ham too :)
Betw, i like your blog, it's informative for lazy SAHM like me.

mamaseah said...

yeah!! a new dish for the kiddies!!! i am still hunting for the creamy mac and cheese recipe... can't find a good one yet.. not yet try the one that you found for me though. heheh i still love kenny rogers mac and cheese best!

Mama Bliss said...

hehehe Ivy... try the recipe i last shared with you and let me know how it turned out :)

I guess when it's creamy it should also be rather "fattening" :P