Monday, September 14, 2009

Our Bakery :)

Today I decided to do something simple with the kids... didn't want to prep any lapbook materials so I grabbed a book and read to the kids a story about Pretzels... :)
Walter the Baker by Eric Carle (one of my favourite authors for children's books)
After reading the book made a little bakery using some printed element and a brown paper lunch bag ...
There... one of the proud "owners of the bakery"...*smile*I tried to roll the dough myself but half way through the process I became lazy and also the kids were hovering around me looking eagerly wanting to put their hands into the dough...so I dumped everything into the bread maker... and let them watch the machine roll the dough instead *grin*
While the bread maker was doing the work I made Tim help me with the baking sheet...
Once the dough was ready, the kids just couldn't wait to start making their pretzels... they were busy patting, rolling, squishing & squashing... not really into making pretzels to be precise but they were at it for over an hour!!! Great! That means they were away from the TV for over an hour *happy mama*

They made an enormous mess at the balcony... there were flour, dough and baking soda water all over the floor... poor helper of mine had a huge task to clean up the aftermath... *shudder*
These were the pretzels I made instead... not really good at rolling the dough it's either too thin or too short... not sure how it worked but i managed to make 10 out of the entire lot of dough...
After 10 mins of baking, the dough came out nice and crispy smelling very good... I dipped them in melted butter and cinnamon sugar and topped them with crushed almond and chocolate rice... I thought the pretzels looked more like doughnuts here *LOL*

Oh well, not too bad for a first attempt, I suppose. Hubby said it tasted good though the pretzels were a little tough, guess I might have worked on the dough a tad too long...

Gotta start thinking of what to do for homeschooling next... stay tuned for more updates... *wink*

2 comments:

Celestial Dweller said...

Salute u, it's tough homeschooling the kids.

Hann Hann said...

wow. it's very nice!