Had wanted to make Shepherd's Pie for a while... and found myself some great recipes on this dish... and here's my version of Shepherd's Pie...You cannot imagine the tentalizing aroma that came out of this dish as it was being baked - it's indescribable!!! *wink*
And I've finally learned how to make fluffy, soft and tasty mashed potatoes (from scratch)... *grin*... this wonderfully delicious Shepherd's Pie is so easy to prepare... I kid you not! *wink*
Here's the what you need and what to do -
800gms ground beef
1 packet frozen mixed vegetables
3 cloves of garlic (skin removed)
1 large white onion (chopped)
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup beef stock
100ml milk (I used full cream UHT milk, you may add fresh milk if you prefer).
Method of preparation -
1) Peel potato skin and then boil potatoes with the 3 cloves of garlic for 20mins (or until potatoes are tender)
2) Add 1tbsp butter with 2tbsp cooking oil in a skillet and fry onions till tender.
3) Stir in beef and brown it; stir in flour once beef is browned.
4) Add frozen mixed vegetables and cook for 1min
5) Add in 2tbsp ketchup & 3/4 cup beef stock, simmer for 5mins
6) Place the cooked meat into a casserole and set it aside.
7) Once potatoes are tender, drain away the water and add in the remaining butter and mash the potatoes & garlic together.
8) Add 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese into the mixture; add the milk a little at a time and continue to mash the potatoes till you reach the consistency that you like (the more milk you add the softer the mash potatoes become).
9) Layer the mashed potatoes on top of the cooked meat in the casserole.
10) Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top and bake on 200C for 18mins.
I love one pot meals! Bon Appetit!~ *smile*