Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Messy Fun - 30 Day Challenge (Day 25-27)

Day 25 - Planting
Have always like my kids to learn more about plants and how they grow... however, I have "brown fingers"... all the plants that come under my hands never quite make it for very long... so I've quite given up hope that I could grow any plants well at all...

Then there was a glimpse of hope for people like me, to grow a little garden of our own... *smile*... try the hydroponic method of planting! The guy who sold me this kit from Oh's Farm, assured me that anybody with no green fingers can grow plants using the hydroponic method - the best part of it all... no watering of the plants is required!!! That was the catalyst to my purchasing this hydroponic herb kit (costed SGD10). It came with four different types of herb seeds (Lemon Balm, Dill, Sweet Basil and Italian Parsley), two bottles of nutrients (in solution form), a pack of vermiculite (looks like soil but not), 4 pots and a styrofoam box to store water... voila!!! I have my little herb garden!
The eager beavers... my kids were extremely curious about planting...
We have the vermiculite all over the place when the two of them tried to fill the little pots up...


Day 5 of planting the seeds, we saw the Sweet Basil sprouting tiny little seedlings... can you imagine the sense of "achievement" I experienced? *LOL*...And here's the little garden, on day 7... while the Sweet Basil grew very quickly and healthily, the rest of the seeds were slow in germinating... we saw skinny Dill seedlings sprouting out, and discovered some roots pushing out of the Lemon Balm...while the Italian Parsley is still "hibernating"...

The kids were excited about these plants...everyday, they'd hover around the garden and see how much the plants have grown... *smile*... isn't nature wonderful? *wink*

Day 26 - Hermit Crabs
Have decided to take a different approach in these messy fun art... by supplementing the activity with a story reading...
on this day, we read the book "A House for Hermit Crab"...
The kids get to work on this eye-hand coordinating + building of fine motorskills activity... The mosaic activity page... the kids were to fill the empty circles with the label stickers.
Next they worked on a hermit crab craft using paper plate, googly eyes and some colouring materials.
Tim enthusiastically squeezed out lots of craft glue just for those googly eyes...
The end product... *smile*
How can I deny a boy of a photo with his bestest friend, Chicky... *smile*

Day 27 - If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
We read the story, we worked on a simple cut and paste craft... and then we...

played a rhyme game together... simple, easy and fun! Noticed how Tim tried to make me reveal where the mouse was hidden only at the very end... *smile*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mamabliss,

Thanks for sharing all the activities. really give me lots of inspiration to do more with my girl..

Cheers,
Mico

J@n!ce said...

S$10 a kit is quite reasonable. How's the growth now? :)

Do you need to transfer to a bigger pot after that?