Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Something to think about...

It's getting a little more challenging to manage the needs of Tim recently... while Little Missy is still rather docile and easy to deal with... I am constantly reminding myself of the need to apply the Five Love Languages of children on the both of them...

Here's something I've come across a while ago that I thought it'd serve as a reminder to myself as I approach a defiant/non-compliant boy daily...and truly see him in the positive light rather than negative... to deal with him with more love than anger... to draw the good out of him rather than the bad...

If I were to raise my child all over again: I'd build self-esteem first and the house later; I'd finger paint more and point the finger less; I would do less correcting and more connecting; I'd take my eyes off my watch and watch more with my eyes; I would care to know less and know to care more; I'd take more hikes and fly more kites; I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play; I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars; I'd do more hugging and less tugging; I'd see oak trees in the acorn more often; I'd model less about the love of power, and more about the power of love. ~ Author Unknown

3 comments:

byihui said...

hi pauline, understand hw u feel, i just had my disciplinary problems with jodie these few days. then when i chanced upon jean's blog, it suddenly hit me that sometimes even if the kid complies with your commands but does not do it with a willing heart, i m not really raising her the right way - that she may grow up and one fine day, when she's totally independent, she may jolly well choose not to comply anymore. it was a real shocker for me so i'm taking time to pray and to ask God for His wisdom in dealing with such issues.

mamaseah said...

this post serves as a good reminder to me. I think sometimes, I may be too harsh with the elder boy who will be turning 5 soon. He is afterall just 5. At an age where he'll try to test all limits and everyone's patience.

Thanks for the quote. Will bear that in mind when I next interact with my first born :)

Joyce Long said...

Thanks for sharing this quote..it serves me as a reminder