Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Simply Homecooked

It's been an extremely loooooooong while since I last shared something that was made out of my kitchen lab...

The weather has been a little erratic and having something that could help cool our bodies down a little might just do some wonders... I could feel that I was coming down with a sore throat... and decided to make ourselves some cool Grass Jelly (otherwise known as Chin Chow) drink.
Such packets of grass jelly could be easily purchased from the supermarket. I got mine at the Fair Price and it's approximately $1+ (can't really remember the exact cost)...
I like the grass jelly in cubes where I could actually chew and taste the jelly...unlike those that I bought ready made from the market where it's shredded...
Put a pot of water and boil 2 bunches of pandan leaves for approximately 15-20mins...
Add some honey to taste... add more if you like it sweeter...after the water has cooled down, add the grass jelly and chill it in the refrigerator. Serve chilled. Easy peasy?
******************************************************************

The past few weeks have been a little crazy for us... both hubby and I have been staying up late till the wee hours of the morning... he was busy with his prep work on the lectures... while I've been chasing after the drama videos... that we both felt really exhausted... and lethargic...
Decided to prepare a double boiled ginseng chicken soup to help boost up our energy a little...
It's super easy to prepare... a large chicken drumstick (de-boned and skin removed), a table spoon of wolf berries, a few slices of American Ginseng (I was super KS, I added more than 20 slices - the soup turned out rather bitter - so add in moderation)... place them all into a soup bowl, add water almost 3/4 level of the bowl...
Once the water in the pot has boiled, place the soup bowl with the ingredients into the pot and double boil it for over 90mins under slow fire.

Not too difficult ya? *smile*

1 comment:

Joyce Long said...

Wah..very mouth watering..