Tuesday, May 12, 2009

(NEVER) Trust a 3-yr-old with a pair of scissors ever!!!

Tim is now 3 yrs old, and has displayed quite a bit of maturity (not)... I thought... and he's shown extreme care in handling scissors whenever I was with him... hence I decided to get him a pair of good working scissors (not those plastic-ky sort that can never cut and cause much frustration).
Went about hunting for a good and yet safe pair of scissors... found these Scotch brand scissors rather apt as they were easy on little hands, the blades were rounded at the tip and it's even ergonomically design in which the pair of scissors was curved (not straight like the regular scissors).

Feeling extremely pleased and proud of myself for being a "good" mommy for going through great lengths to find my kids a suitable pair of scissors... I gave both Tim and Little Missy each a pair of the Scotch scissors...with the assumption that my helper and all the adults around the children will watch over them while they use the pair of scissors...
HORROR of all horrors... the kids decided that they wanted to play barber for the day!!!!!!!!!!!! While all of us were unaware, Tim gave himself a "new" hair cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I guess, we were fortunate to have discovered on time when Little Missy tried to follow suit... I cannot imagine Little Missy with patches of hair missing from her head *fainted*
What great master pieces kids could come up with... the result of a dumb mommy's negligence of how "creative" her kids could get when given a pair of scissors!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Perhaps someday when we look back at this incident we might all have a good laugh...but I am certainly not laughing now...

9 comments:

Merryn said...

oh goodness! thank goodness no one is injured in this incident! LOL... i can laugh now coz it's only hair dat is GONE! LOL

J@n!ce said...

My 3 yr old boy took the scissors & trimmed his fringe 2 months ago too. Luckily, the damage isn't too great. I can imagine you must be in great shock!!

Linda said...

hahaha.... my 2y10m girl cut her barbie doll hair with a pair of scissors last week... luckily not her hair or her little sister hair... since then i kept the scissor away from her sight....

Rose said...

My gal is 3, but I havent really trust her with scissors!! Need to supervise her!!

WokkingMum said...

Don't be surprise that they will do it again when they are older cos that's what Warren did again recently. :P Before that he uses MeiMei as his model. *faint* I was so shock to see a lock of long hair on the floor. I thought what happened. Lucky he stop after a snip.

jean said...

Hi Pauline, I got a shock when I saw Tim's hair.

Just be very careful when they use scissors make sure they don't run with it and most importantly, teach them how to hold the scissors when they pass it to each other in case any mishap happens. Always hold the sharp blade on the palm before passing on to another person....

no worries, his beautiful hair will start growing soon... and hopefully he learns that he can't cut his own hair or meimei's hair.

God bless.

Joyce Long said...

Hey..I think it is a good to experience....kids are curious and learn hands on experience much faster...

wen said...

i understand how u feel as i experienced this before and it was my daughter's hair!

YM said...

Sophie did this to her own hair too... thinned it about 6 mths ago.
I was down with a flu and was just lying in bed, and then she somehow got hold of her Crayola scissors and started trimming her own hair... good thing it was blunt so it just thinned her hair!