Monday, May 18, 2009

The Deed's Been Done!

Just last week, I met up with a great friend whom I've not met in months... I am so glad to have the opportunity to chat with her once again... (am very deprive of adults conversations to be honest)...

She's always been my source of inspiration, and I've been once again inspired by her to want to homeschool my kids. She gave me lots of encouragement and support in this area all this while. I'm so grateful that I've found such a wonderful sister-in-Christ to walk with me in the journey of being a better mom and guide to my children.

After the conversation I had with her last week, it gave me great courage to step up and make a decision to pull Tim out of school. This time it's for real!
I am aware that Tim enjoyed being in school, he being a sociable boy. But I have received a common complaint by his 3 teachers over the two terms that he's very restless in class... often unable to sit still at his seat and running around the classroom... much a free-spirited child...only able to sit still when something interests him... even that was for a short period only (very unlike him when he's at home; we could often sit through lapbook/workbook activities, read-aloud session for a long period at one go - most time with him asking for more).

That gave me a cue that it's really time I pull him out. The school isn't serving its purpose in helping him learn. I don't blame the teachers as they have a whole class of kids to take care of...and Tim being the eldest in class (he's a Jan boy)... has to blend in the flow of the class' dynamics.

I picked up a withdrawal form (again), and this time it's for real. Hubby supported my decision and thus, we'll start a new journey of learning from June onwards... new routine, new time table... am happy as I will not be walking through this journey alone, my dearest friend will be homeschooling her 4-year-old boy together with me and Tim. For that I am not worried about Tim's socialization with other kids yet be able to have some very valuable socialization for myself too *smile*

11 comments:

Rose said...

Wow! that is a big step. How long you plan to homeschooling Tim??

Anyway, good luck in homeschooling him! I am sure you will do a good job and he will learn well with you. All the best!

byihui said...

hi paulyn, i think its great that u've already tried schooling for him n has made the decision finally. m sure u'll be his best teacher :) God bless!

Yaggya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yaggya said...

I am sure u will do a good job at it going by the way you handle all the activities with them. Even I think my daughter learns much more at home than at school but i prefer her to socialize there. Its just tough taking the decision though...Good luck.

WokkingMum said...

I don't think you will have a problem homeschooling Tim. Jia you!

Jayne said...

yoohoo! I bet making the decision took a lot of courage from you! All the best!! If you have time, we should meet up for a playdate! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pauline,

Simply Admire your determination to homeschool Tim. I think you have what it takes to homeschool. Im sure Tim will have a great time!

Do share with us your homeschooling journey ! So looking forward to it :)

Mico

pc said...

bravo and happy for you & tim:).

i too, looking forward to your homeschooling journey.

p/s: call us if any playdates or fieldtrip:p

Anonymous said...

It's a good choice and I'm sure he will do very well under your guidance. All the best to you and Tim.

jean said...

Hello Pauline, thank God that both your husband and you have made this decision to homeschool Tim. God be with you and family as you all embark on this wonderful journey!

kristin said...

from the little bit i have read, it sounds like a fine choice. i don't believe a child needs to be in a school setting to be socialized. what i most important is that your guy is with adults who do not experience him as a distraction!!!

way to go.