Sunday, March 15, 2009

My 3 Days As A Baby Sitter...

Last week, I was a baby-sitter for 3 days, well 3 half-days to be exact... providing care to our new friends' (who are from the USA) daughter, Natalie.

I offered to help as Natalie's mom had to attend a workshop for 3 half-days... since I am a SAHM and I'd love to have Natalie at my place so that my kids could have some company...
On the first day, I stayed home with the two girls, while Tim's in school... offered the two girls some drawing materials and stickers... they started scribbling and having their own fun with the markers... while I just facilitate their play...
Before heading off to pick Tim up from school, I brought the girls down to the playground for a run... alas it rained the night before, all the slides and rides were wet... we just walked around the neighbourhood and enjoy the morning breeze...

Natalie was very drawn by the cat on the pavement that she immediately sat right next to it... while Little Missy was no where to be seen in the picture as she's squatting quite a distance away from the cat... this made me really think how our behaviour have influenced our kids... that explained why Little Missy wasn't anywhere near the cat.

I am glad that my two kids had the opportunity to play and learn from Natalie... given the different upbringing and the culture, I feel that such influence is good.
On our second day with Natalie, I pulled out the "bean-box" and let the 2 girls work on those fine motor skills... they were having a great time throwing the beans all over the floor *smile*...

This kept them busy for 15-20mins... while I just quietly watch them play... I really do enjoy my role as a facilitator... show them a few ways of playing and they would work on it themselves... *wink*
They were then given a spray bottle each, and I asked them to water our neighbour's plants along the corridor... *smile*... see how focus Natalie was? Fun way for the kids to learn & play at the same time...
When Tim was back, the kids asked for drawing materials again... so I whipped out some hand-me-down note books and crayons for the kids to scribble...
I started our third day with Natalie by letting the two girls blow & play with bubbles... kids simply have this natural love in bubbles... not sure why... watching them enjoy the activity was of essence to me.
Later that morning, we made pizzas together... don't try this unless you have a helper... I was flustered throughout the entire event cos I under estimated the amount of time I needed to prep this activity from scratch... and because there were 3 young kids in the house, someone's gotta watch over them lest they fight with each other or attempt some dangerous acrobatic stunts...

But at the end of the day, I was glad that the kids had fun even though they didn't finish eating their own tiny little pizza.
Before Natalie headed home, Tim played some games and ran around the house with her happily...

On the whole, the 3 days, was tiring albeit FUN... love it that the kids got along fine except for an occasional fights... *smile* It's really not bad being a baby sitter *wink*

6 comments:

Happyland Children Arts said...

You are great baby sitter^^
children were happy and enjoy!

Dawn said...

wow. Great job! I would be at a loss if I were the one taking care. Haha

Ron Jun/Megan said...

wow well done...me with one kid oso cannot tahan, dunno wat to entertain him

mamaseah said...

you are just so good with kids and you've got really good ideas on how to keep them occupied. great job!

Kristie said...

that is great! looks like the 3 of them had so much fun :)

Wenz 宛仟 & Denz 浩安 said...

hmm....i know who to look for when I need a good pt-time baby sitter next time....hint..hint...*wink*