Friday, February 20, 2009

Messy Fun

*Warning - not for the faint hearted*
Take a deep breath now... what I'm going to share isn't going to be a pretty sight... so view them at your own discretion...teehehe...

It came once upon a time, I shared with Mommy Evelyn, that using flour allows kids to feel how it is to write - one of Montessori's idea...

I went a step further by allowing the kids to have a messy fun time by adding water into the tub of flour...you can imagine the mess... *wink*

Here's a picture story for your reference...
The kids were given some flour in a tub to have fun with...
They started innocently meddling with the flour, feeling and touching the flour like they would playing with talcum powder... the exciting part came when I started pouring water into the tub of flour... and they just took it from there...
The consistency was a little runny as I've added too much water... so I taught the kids to add more flour in order to roll the flour into a dough...
It didn't matter whether the batter was runny or dry... they had their fun anyways...and Tim was re-enacting the scene from "We're Going On A Bear Hunt"... he was going "squelch, squirch, squelch, squirch..." that was quite funny...
Little Missy had a whale of a good time with this messy fun game...
Then, Tim discovered quite by accident that it was more fun to step on the lumpy flour... he then started pouring more of the lumpy batter onto the flour so that he could slide his way along the floor...
The kids naturally didn't have enough of this game, they emptied the entire packet of flour and continued their fun for quite a long while till the lumpy batter was almost drying up on the floor...

The aftermath? I didn't even dare to take a picture of it... *LOL*... poor mommy (yours truly) had to scrub the lumps of flour off the floor bit by bit... and my poor helper had to scrub all the flour off my two kids' hair, body, hands, legs... but it was all well worth it!

10 comments:

MommyAngel said...

How do you manage to scrub the flour off your kids especially the hair? My girl once played with the batter and it dries on her hair. I tried to wash them away but couldn't so at the end, I have to cut them (the hair + flour) away :(

Kristie said...

haha good idea!

but i can imagine the mess man... OMG!

mamaseah said...

ohh my god!!! i'll probably faint thinking of the aftermath. They sure look like they had loads of fun but ehhh i really can't imagine how much effort the cleaning up takes.

Jacqueline said...

MamaBliss, i love your blog! Is so cozy, fun and full of love! Tim and Joyce are both sooo adorable! This is such fun idea to allow your cute little ones to just have FUN and explore their creativity! Love love the idea. So happy that you drop by my bubble space...is such a joy to have found a new creative friend!

Hope you and your precious are having a fun merry happy weekend! Love to you and yours!

vhincent said...

how cute! its still a long way for us to let our baby play in a tub of flour ;)

Rachel said...

Oh..that's looks really fun for Tim and Joyce! I should let K give it a try, but well, I am not too keen about the cleaning up bit :)

Btw, I have a photo meme for you http://catchfortywinks.blogspot.com/2009/02/memories.html

pc said...

awesome idea... i may have to take one day leave to clean the mess LOL...

you are amazing mum indeed~!

etceteramommy said...

Mommy quite cool eh.. Still can take pictures of the kids. But then you're right.. moment like these are priceless. Luckily you have a helper to help you with the cleaning up.

Malaika's mummy said...

The kids certainly have fun. Lucky you, got maid to clean up the mess.

Thanks for giving me this brilliant idea. But not sure whether I will let my girl enjoy this fun. I don#t have any helper to help scrub the floor.

Mamamie said...

Hi
I've tagged u in my photo meme :)
http://mamamiethots.blogspot.com/2009/02/photo-meme-tag.html