Monday, January 12, 2009

Homeschool vs Mainstream

Since I've mentioned about pulling Tim out of school I've received a question by many concerned mommies if Tim was going to be homeschooled and if I was serious about homeschooling Tim all the way through PSLE... 

I must confess, at times, I do feel inadequate and wonder if I could really do a good job at guiding Tim in his preschool learning years... but there were also times, I really relish on the one-to-one time I have with Tim... outing, chatting, reading, doing craft work or simply doing nothing... I love the times I could just be there with him to watch him grow... such is the joy of having my child by my side all day long...

But recently, I've also been a little concern if my selfish need of being needed is doing Tim any good in his development and learning years... would he be better off being in school learning the ropes and getting started in his journey towards the primary school... hmmm... 

I wanted Tim to enjoy his childhood, in his preschool years...which is the reason why I like it when I introduce learning opportunities to him in a very slow, gentle but fun way... nurturing his love for learning is far more important to me than the results of his learning... my recent conversation with MANY mommies, reminded me the cruel truth of our times now that kids are no longer able to enjoy learning at a pace that's within reach... rather they are being placed in a pressure cooker... forced to learn as quickly and as much as they could. I don't know about those who are already in the system, but I can already feel the stress... and wonder if the stress is at all necessary... why do we want to kill the interest/love for learning at the very onset of the learning years of our wonderful kids? 

Hubby shared with me a video link and the discussion was about "Is Primary School Too Tough?" There are 3 parts to it... and I am sharing it here with all of you... everything that's discussed in there is my exact sentiments... check them out...while I continue to mull over if we should homeschool Tim all the way to PSLE *smile* 

"Is Primary School Too Tough?" - Part 1
"Is Primary School Too Tough?" - Part 2
"Is Primary School Too Tough?" - Part 3

13 comments:

WaveSurfer said...

Hi mamabliss,
I'm in no position to comment on which is the right choice for Tim, but I can relate to your thoughts, especially on the part on killing the interest/love for learning.
Before I become a parent, I have also felt many parents around us were getting too 'kiasu' and stressed over their children's education. Now that I am one, my stance has not changed as I still want to allow my child to enjoy his childhood and learn at a comfortable pace. But since he's only 6 months old now, it's still too early to tell how I will think again when he's of age.
Eventually, regardless of the decision you come up with, I believe that you, as his mother, will certainly have made your decision based on what you believe is the best for him. So believe in your own decision and go ahead with it confidently. ^^

etceteramommy said...

Just follow your heart dear.... do what you this is best for Tim :D

byihui said...

hi pauline, it's not an easy decision but I think u really need to consider if homeschooling is something u wil stick wif n not regret, no matter the results.

personally, unless the child really has problem fitting-in in school or u have a strong calling by the Lord to homeschool your child, i feel it's only fair to let the child try out school first (more referring to primary school n not pre-school) b4 deciding whether to homeschool.

merits of going to mainstream, i feel, is that u let the child grow up, in touch with society n the so-called "real world" out there. when he grows up n go to work in society, he will face the same stiff competition (same competitors from school). It's just not realistic for parents to think they can protect/shelter their children from the competition in school, only to realise they are back to square one when the kids reach sec school/ real world.
Hope this helps.

Kristie said...

why are u seriously thinking of homeschooling for tim? is it because of the nightmare u had at school?

lifewithc said...

Hi

Thanks for sharing the video links. Again from a mom who has read a lot about homeschooling and still reading more, I feel I must put in my 2 cents worth too!

When I decided to put C on a veg diet, I got lots of brickbats and well meaning comments too. That made me feel very insecure and wondering if I was putting my child's development at risk. However I realised something very important. People who don't approve are not vegetarians!

I did my research, read as much as I can get hold of until I can confidently say now I've done the right thing and I'm glad I had listened to my heart. When I get comments and queries, I can confidently fend them off. I will only listen seriously from someone who is a vegetarian herself.

Similarly, you and I know there are lots of misconceptions about homeschooling, many of which come from parents who do not homeschool.

That's something to think about : )

mamabliss said...

A, you've got my exact sentiments :) thanks for your bold sharing...

MUMMY said...

Hi, u may or not remember me/us. we probably meet 2-3 times only. Adrian/Cindy Shee now in shanghai(Steven will know).
I used to be like u... but i told myself i either do it or i'll be thinking about it my whole life.
I put my foot down and am homeschooling El for more than a year now with Shae in the 'class'.
I'm not sure how long I will do it but i think I'm happy with the arrangement now. Since it make all of the immediate SHEEs happy!

Hann Hann said...

how bout after PSLE?

will you homeschool ya children thru' secondary school?

I suppose this is something u'll have to consider before deciding on whether to homeschool ya kids all the way to PSLE.

will they adjust? etc...

but perhaps you can oso take one step at a time.

Hann Hann said...

not Hann but Hann's Mummy said...

nope, i'm not against homeschooling.

in fact I admire people who can homeschool their children.

but i know i'm too lazy and ill-disciplined to be homeschooling Hann.

when i see kids (secondary) drop out of school, I wish i can help them by "homeschooling" them. but i really can't help them in many subjects. I suppose if i have the time I can do it but right now, I don't.

MUMMY said...

One step at a time. Perhaps i did not mentioned, we're not staying in singapore, so my decision is made easier....
Besides, we dun even know where we'll be in the next 2 years....
On a side note, I dun think its going to be tough for a homeschool child to get into mainstream.. if there is its only going to be easier....
Live for now, God will take care of the rest.

mamabliss said...

hi MUMMY, yes I do remember you...as Steven still mentions about Adrian once in a while in our conversations... :) thanks for sharing your pov with me here...

we are indeed taking a step at a time now... we've started to send Tim back to school this week and he seems to be taking it quite well... we've paid up for a term as it's required so we'll see what happens after the term is up...

meanwhile, I'll still continue to host/run the weekly PG with a group of mommies and do some simple activities based on the homeschool materials I've bought...

Steven is not very confident about homeschooling the kids all the way at this point in time...so we'll continue to pray for God's leading... :)

mamabliss said...

Hello Hann's Mommy, yes, that's the problem I have too... ill disciplined... and I do things in my own whims and fancies... some days I feel like it I'll actively do a lot of homeschool activities with Tim, on days when I feel lazy, I'll just place him in front of the goggle box hours on end... so it's no wonder hubby has no confidence in homeschooling the kids all the way... :P

pc said...

i too, admired you have choices and you make a good one:). tim and joyce are blessed to have you.

been thinking about it, but... yeah, ill-disciplined. probably we are new here, heard about stress but yet to feel it ourselve... hubby was saying, as long as we, the parents dont give too much pressure, and if i find a right school that click us (pray hard for this), i guess my focus is nurture her the right value and positive thingking.
also, clearly hy prefer anyone than her mama teach her things:p.

anyway, i am looking forward to meet all of you in PG in Feb:). who knows, we maybe going the gang ;)...