Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sleep-less Night...

Little Missy is fast approaching 16mths old... and both hubby and I felt that it's about time we change her bedtime habits at night...Since the time when I began to stay home... I've been tucking her to bed by sitting/lying beside her and patting her to sleep... every night... so much so that the minute she realized that I was not around she'll demand for attention by screaming and crying... I was in and out of her bed a few times a night (every night) on end...

Recently, out of laziness and convenience, I've been allowing Little Missy to sleep on our bed (funny as it seemed, she stopped kicking any fuss the minute she's put on our bed). However, her karate kicks have left both hubby and I with severe sleep deprivation. Three nights in a row and hubby felt that this habit has to stop and it has to stop IMMEDIATELY...otherwise the habit will be hard to kick later...

So this week, we tried to tuck her to bed by adopting the Super Nanny's method... here's a write-up about why we should be strict about sleep.

It wasn't easy initially as which parent would allow their own child to scream and cry without wanting to pacify the child immediately... The first night was the worst... Little Missy screamed and cried for almost an hour before she was completely exhausted and knocked out on her own...we thought she'd persist with the crying and screaming the second night but to our surprise, she slept on her own immediately after finishing her milk... no fuss at all... but the third night, she woke up crying & screaming in the middle of night but all for only a couple of minutes... and tonight... she made a big fuss... I consistently practice the method she dozed off on her own quite quickly...

We are beginning to see results but we don't foresee she'll break the habit of wanting us to pat her to sleep or want to snuggle up in bed with us for another week or two... so wish us luck!

9 comments:

little prince's mummy said...

Her eyes r so adorable!~

MommytoMeia said...

No patting, nor carrying for Max... I throw him on the mattress beside me and let him go sleep by himself!!!

Nathanael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathanael said...

Hang in there! We sleep trained Nat when he was below a year old and it was terrible to hear him cry and scream for us, there were times he cried so hard that he vomitted... But we stuck to it (it took more than 2 weeks) and now he can happily sleep in his own room after story time & milk without us being around.

The road is very hard initially but it is truly worth it I tell ya! =)

So good luck with the training! Little Missy will get the message eventually ;)

God bless,
Serene

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh .... I so feel your pain. I know it seems like the cruelest thing to do to your child, but having gone through it twice now (we sleep trained both our boys when they were 6 months old), I can honestly say this is one of the best skills we have given them the opportunity to learn. Also, I find that it is so amazing that God made our babies so adaptable. They soon learn the message and realize they can do it on their own ... what a confirmation and boost of self esteem even at a tender age.
I will be thinking about you and praying for an extra ounce of endurance and patience as you go through it. Know that God is there with little missy and helping her along during the process.
-fay

lifewithc said...

Hi

Hang in there. One word of valuable advice: Never give in now you've started, no matter how tired you are. Kids are smart and they will be constantly testing us, even when they've been good for months!

C was sleep-trained at 5 months. I hated nursing her to sleep. Since then, we've had the same boring routine of bath, pjs, brush teeth, story-time, singing songs, kiss goodnight, lights out and saying bye bye to each other.

It works brilliantly and C never fussed about bedtime. You can do it and you will find you have so much personal time now cos you dont have to wait for her to fall asleep!

mamabliss said...

Dear Mommies, thanks so much for your sharing and word of encouragement... will definitely hang in there... it is just difficult to hear Little Missy scream and cry when I have to hold myself back from pacifying her... but I know this is a necessary step... so will have to bite the bullet for now... :)

ipoop said...

This is my first time on your blog. Your daughter is so cute.
I've tried sleep training when my first son was 4 months old. It didn't work then. But as time passes, he gets to sleep better on his own. Try this website on sleep issues for kids ... askdrsears.com

Serene said...

I will browse your blog almost everytime online, as there are so much to learn from you on how to raising a happy child. I am facing the same problem of you that my 3 yeaars old daughter will cry once she notice I am not around. I think I need to adapt to Super Nanny techniq too......