Monday, November 10, 2008

Learn With Our Children...

I am happy that I've made some wonderful friends through the blogosphere who are in the same phase of life as I am and what's more... we are in the same wavelength in our approach with our kids... though we each have our own beliefs and parenting styles... we somehow see eye-to-eye in the way that we guide our children in their learning and growing...

I was extremely inspired by Mommy Adeline in her recent post on C's Kakis, as well as Mommy Evelyn's post on The Way We Parent...

Being a SAHM for almost a year now, I looked back recently and wondered what have I achieve in my journey as the head of home affairs... I must confess that I do feel inadequate at times, when I learn that some kids could do and achieve so much more at a young tender age... I'd often feel bad that my kids can't do this, can't perform that, hasn't achieve a certain milestone... it made me wonder if I had been lazy and do nothing more than allowing the two kids to play and watch TV... and I wonder too if I had better go back to work and pack the kids off to the schools...The posts by Mommy Adeline and Mommy Evelyn have some how put me back in perspective of why I chose to walk away from the rat race and be home to care for my kids... which is exactly how I want my kids to grow up...ie. to be away from the rat race - to not be busy catching up with the Joneses and chasing after the wind... I want to lead a meaningful and purposeful life and that's my hope for my kids too...

I am just happy that both my children are growing well at their own pace...at this stage being healthy and happy surpasses everything else... they will get there cognitively and academically at the right time... what's more crucial now is for me to provide and facilitate the right environment for them to learn and thrive in... afterall the desire of learning is inherent in them (it's God given)... and I'd just have to recognise those learning moments and encourage them in the appropriate way...
Chance upon this article that made me nodding my head away as I read every word... and I feel assured that it's ok if Tim doesn't know how to spell his name, can't count beyond 11... doesn't know how to do complicated puzzles, doesn't know the days of the week, doesn't know how to read etc... because at the right moment he'll want to learn them all and that makes learning more meaningful than to force it down his throat before he's ready for them...

For now, I'll just learn along with my children... making every minute of my SAHM status counts. I hope to leave a positive impact in the lives of my kids that they will grow up to be secure, happy and responsible human beings... that they will in turn leave a positive impact in the lives of their children later...

10 comments:

allthingspurple said...

true. kids grow at different pace. I notice how my first born is more advance in certain things and how my 2nd born is advance in others.And vice versa, slow in other things. It all balanced out eventually.

Joyce Long said...

Pauline..

dont worry so much..all kids are different..they have different capabililty..was sharing with you over the msn..when I was a kid..I am a very slow learner..that doesn't matter..the most important is to have good habit..good wisdom..good manners..the intangibles..

Just to share I also learn with Cherrlyn especially those chinese songs that she picks up from DVD..we sing and dance together..at the end of the day..we watch our kids grow..so happy..

Anonymous said...

"Child development is a process, not a race. There are no prizes for going fastest or getting there first.... (Be) the warm, congratulatory bystanders... the caring companions..., the unfailing supporters and facilitators of her growing up..."- Your Baby & Child, Penelope Leach

Mummy Karen
:)

mamabliss said...

Hi C, thanks so much for sharing your experience with your kids here... indeed totally agree that the children grow at different pace and even though they are our own children they are different too in many ways... :)

mamabliss said...

Hi Joyce... thank you dear for the reassurance and encouragement :)

mamabliss said...

Hi Mummy Karen, thanks for sharing the quote... :)

pc said...

hey, dont worry too much on kids' learning and growing, you always have hy n i behind you LOL.

thanks for providing me a sanctuary of unwinding...

ant said...

couldnt agree more with you! I always feel that it doesnt matter if my kids wont tops in school, not as successful as their peers in future...all matters most to me is they are happy, healthy & grow up to be a good person.. :-)

4malmal said...

just got back from a short trip and when i read your post, I have to drop u a note!
Pls don worry, i think u r doing very well and your kids will strive with the love and care u have showered on them. And really, I think nothing is more important than a happy childhood. As a first time parent, many times, I m unsure and constantly question myself like u and I understand how u feel.

mamaseah said...

ehhh fret not.. you are doing really well. Even though my kid is so called in the rat race, at the age of 4 he still can't write number 2. ha!

each kid have their own learning pace. and being able to excel academically is not the only aim in life - in my view point. I want my kids to be happy kids :)

you are really doing great. Kudos!