Thursday, August 21, 2008

Simply Homecooked - What's For Dinner Tonight?

Ooh I simply love the wonderful Japanese cookbook that Jenny loaned me (by the way, it was bought in Hong Kong)... it has the simplest and most interesting recipes that I simply can't help but fall in love with...

This dish was supposedly blanched spinach topped with Katsuo Bushi (Bonito Flakes)... but I've decided to stir fry the vege (I used Puay Leng - chinese spinach) instead of blanching... I must say, the Katsuo Bushi did somehow add interest to what seem like a very plain plate of vegetable...
This one took slightly more work to prepare... but it's worth a try... fried fish fillet topped with Daikon (finely shredded radish).

The fish fillet was marinated in 2tbsp of ginger sauce and 2tbsp light soya sauce... and before frying, pat dry the fish fillet and lightly coat it with corn flour (I've added a little pepper into the corn flour)... fry the fish fillet till it's golden brown. The recipe calls for a sauce (made of mirin, light soya sauce and a little dashi - Japanese soup stock) to be cooked and sprinkled on top of the fish fillet (which I've omitted)... I still prefer the fish fillet crispy... on hindsight, the daikon might have gone better with the sauce... hmmm...food for thought...

Before serving, add the daikon on top of the fish and sprinkle some Japanese chilli powder or Japanese seasoning mix.
I hope these recipes will interest you to give it a try... :) happy cooking!

4 comments:

compassvale link said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hi pauline,

can you share the name of the book? the dishes looks great!! you must have put alot of effort in cooking :)

i enjoy cooking dinners for family everyday, so it would be great to know more ideas.

Joyce Long said...

Awesome..yummy!!! surely interest me. have to try one of these days..

Joyce Long said...

Awesome..yummy!!! surely interest me. have to try one of these days..