Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Simply Homecooked Dishes

Since my Nikon P2 konked on me some time ago... I've been banned from video-ing the process of my cooking in the kitchen... hubby said there's too much oil going around during cooking... hence you haven't seen much of my cooking videos lately... sigh...

Anyways, I'll still photograph what I've prepared in the kitchen just that there won't be a sequencing process anymore...
Last week, I tried out a new recipe taken from a cookbook Jenny loaned to me... it's simple Japanese everyday dishes...and this one caught my eye as it's quite easy to gather the ingredients at home anytime...I've modified some of the ingredients a little...

Here's what is in the recipe - minced ginger, chicken stock (I used 1tbsp maggi concentrated chicken stock blend with 1 cup water), minced pork, potato wedges (cut from 2-3 potatoes), chopped spring onions... 1 tsp of dark soya sauce, 1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with water (used as a thickener).

Fry the ginger first and add in some spring onions followed by the meat and stir fry till meat is just cooked. Add chicken stock and potato wedges and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20mins (until potatoes are tender & cooked)... add dark soya sauce and corn starch solution...stir fry for a while and serve...
Since young I've been pampered with loads of great soups my mom has made me...that time, we usually have soup daily... and I can even skip my main dinner to just having soup alone... that's how good my mom is at making soups...

I can't boast that I am as good as my mom, but I've learned some tips from her about brewing soups... and one of my favourites is the lotus root soup...

She has taught me how to choose a good lotus root that tastes powdery with the first bite... she told me... the lotus root that looks very odd outside(one that looks twisted and very ugly) usually taste powdery and nice on the inside... I've taken that tip and so far I'm pleased with those lotus root I've picked...

I know there are many versions of brewing the lotus root soup...but this one is my version -
lotus root sliced, 2 sweet corns, chicken bones, chicken meat (breast meat or thigh meat), 1 dried cuttle fish (you may vary it by using dried scallops), a little red beans (approx 20gms), a little peanuts (approx 20gms) and water... no seasoning needed as the soup will already be very tasty on its own with the combi of all the ingredients...put them all into a pot and bring the soup to a boil and then simmer under low heat for 30-40mins. The easier way is to put them all into a crock pot to cook... that will save you the trouble from having to check to ensure the soup don't overflow while boiling...

Remember to soak the red beans and peanuts with hot water till it's soft beforehand... :)

Bon appetit everyone!

No comments: