Thursday, August 14, 2008

Be A Hogger No-More

I find it strangely coincidental...however, I don't think it's a mere coincidence... just last week, while I was at Jenny's, she shared with me a book about how to keep our lives simple...by having less... and in fact less is MORE... I found it profound and definitely something that I needed to take stock of...I'll come to the coincidental part in a while...

I have been a hogger... almost anything and everything that's craft worthy, I'll hog it! When I moved from my mom's place to where I live now... I simply cannot believe the amount of stuff I've to move over... hubby asked me to discard as much as I could especially things I haven't touched for over a year... but because of the amount of $ I've spent as well as the habit of hogging, I simply can't part with all those stuff... hence it just remained in the cupboards and sitting there waiting to be put to some good use... 

Today, coincidentally, I've come across a very interesting video shared by Mommy Evelyn...and I immediately could identify with the trap of consumerism that I've fallen into all these years... cos just the past few days I've given away 2 HUGE bags of Tim's & Joyce's clothes that they have outgrown... it's simply unbelievable... I mean we have only 2 kids but those clothes that we have accumulated just the past year is enough for a dozen of kids...and I felt so relief when those 2 bags have been off loaded... you can imagine how much space I've vacated after that...at the same time, the sense of guilt of over spending unnecessarily crept in...

This calls to mind a scripture verse in Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 -
"I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labour. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." 

I encourage you to take 20mins of your time to view this video, " The Story of Stuff", it will definitely be eye-opening... and here's 1 10 Big and Little things you can do... to make a difference...

It's about time I ditch the habit of hogging and start to live simply... because it's not just at the expense of my own life but at the expense of those whom I love if I continue the style of living I have been "conditioned" to live... 

9 comments:

Ruth said...

"I have been a hogger... almost anything and everything that's craft worthy, I'll hog it! "

hahaha...me too!

Hann Hann said...

not Hann but Hann's Mummy said...

me three.

one of our rooms are used to store all my stuff which I haven't touched in years.

Hann Hann said...

not Hann but Hann's Mummy said...

one thing i can do:
choose canned milo over packet milo. ha.

pc said...

moved up to the north, then down to the south have make my buying & hogging lesser and lesser...

Joyce Long said...

dear pauline..thanks for sharing this with us..I really have to reflect myself..nowadays i have to think more than twice should i buy or not or just make do with what i have.

mamabliss said...

Hello Mommies, indeed... we need to reflect and take a more conscious effort in our spending habits... like many of you, I'd need to just walk away from the stuff that I desire to have so badly... hubby calls it delay gratification... and then determine if I should really need to buy... :) lets all work towards that from henceforth then...

Rose said...

Thanks for the good advice Mamabliss. I think I need to start to discard some stuff from the storeroom and give way to other more important items!! The store become very crampy now. :p as for me, I need to stop being a hogger myself

mamaseah said...

i'm guilty!!not only did i hog what's worse i recently went toyogo and haul back 3 towers of drawers to hide the kid
s stuffs :x

can you believe i still have my school notes with me??? i was thinking those are my efforts.. so waste to throw away...

tona-mama said...

Thanks mamabliss for sharing!

Me too another guilty one! I oso keep hoggin things cos tis got sentimental value and that too expensive to thrash.. I cant throw away greeting cards and books! I still have my birthday card which my dad gave me when I turned 7!

Mamaseah, me too also have notes.. so wasteful to throw, what if I need to refer? Aiyo... how? I oso thinking of getting more boxes to store stuff!!

Really must take a rain-check!