Thursday, July 03, 2008

Seven Stitches...

That's the number of stitches Tim had sustained on his left eyelid at the age of 2.5yrs (exactly). I have FAILED as a mother - BADLY!!!

When my helper came running home panic stricken and Tim was screaming away at the door... I knew something very bad has happened. When I ran to the door, I saw blood stains on my helper's t-shirt and there on Tim's left eyelid was a long and deep cut with blood oozing out...

Tim had a nasty fall at the playground last evening at our neighbourhood...according to our helper's description, he slipped and fell at the stairs leading up to the slide. I am not sure how that happened but I am just filled with immense remorse for not being there with him at the playground myself.

As I was trying to stop the bleeding, I secretly hope that he didn't need any stitches (but I had an inkling that, that was going to be the outcome of the deep & long cut). I rushed him to the nearest clinic and the doctor confirmed my greatest fear - Tim needed stitches on his eyelid...

We then hopped onto a cab and hurried down to the A&E of KKH... it was the peak hour, you can imagine the traffic condition... Tim's cut was still bleeding... I was almost in a state of panic myself but I had to remain calm before my son lest he will start to worry and cry. We met hubby at the hospital...

When we were being attended to at the hospital, we were told that we had to wait for a further 2 hours as Tim had a drink an hour before we arrived at the hospital, the doctor could only perform the suture procedure later due the side effects of anasthesia. I then asked hubby to go back home to fetch the car and bring us some fresh clothes and diapers... cos I left the house in a hurry bringing nothing else but my purse and the pram.

Poor boy... he didn't had any food since 1pm and it was at 930pm that the suture procedure was performed on him... over a few occasions while waiting he requested for milk and water... and to add onto the problem, the patient next to us were busy munching packets of snacks away... he was fussing mildly and I quickly distract him by pointing to him what was being screened on TV at that time... that kind of took his focus away from his hunger... but I am very proud of this little chap that throughout the entire journey to the clinic, hospital and waiting he was quiet and didn't cry.

When 930pm came, Tim was given a jab (he cried really HARD) and after a couple of minutes he began to drift away (consciousness)... while being fully awake he didn't know what was going on... the procedure took no more than 15mins but it was enough to make my imagination run wild. I prayed very hard, and I activated many of my christian friends to pray for us as well... I needed that kind of support... otherwise I would have gone mad with all my wild imaginations.

At 10pm Tim was wheeled out of the surgery room to the observation area. His bloodshot eyes were wide opened but he didn't respond to any of my talking to him. I could see his mouth open and close many times but he seemed to be so far away (completely spaced out). My heart broke into a million pieces at that moment. He clutched my hand a few times I thought he was coming to... but he was still in a daze. Not long after he closed his eyes and slept... the waiting was agonizing... cos I was so afraid he wouldn't wake up (haha how silly right, but the fear was very real)...

At 1040pm, he opened his eyes...and wanted to tell me something but couldn't utter a word... then I asked him a few times if he wanted to go home... he finally made a weak "yes"... we waited a further hour before the doctor came to check on Tim and declared that he could be brought home. What a day for the little one who just turned 2.5yrs old officially... sigh...

In this entire episode I am completely grateful to many people and situations...
1) Thank God for His mighty mercies and grace on Timothy.
2) Thankful to a very calm and collected hubby who didn't throw accusations and blame on me for this incident. Instead, he lovingly and gently told me to be more careful the next time.
3) Grateful that the cut on Tim's eyelid was nearer to his brow and there was no further injury.
4) There was no queue at the taxi stand when we were headed towards the hospital.
5) Thankful that the queue at the A&E was short during the peak hours and we were attended to very quickly.
6) Appreciate all the prayers and concerns by family, many of my close friends and the blogging mommy community.
7) Pleasantly surprise that the total medical cost was $115 and not what I've expected.
8) Tim is running, jumping, crawling, playing, laughing like he always do... (it's as if nothing has happened)...

18 comments:

tona-mama said...

Oh dear! Wat a scare for you and esp Tim! He's such a brave little boy too. Pls don blame yourself k? Who would want such a thing to happen right? Really, only a mother wld know how another mother feel - Heart-pain! Pls take care and many many hugs and kisses to Tim!

LZmommy said...

I'm sorry to hear what Tim has to go through... Yes, it is very heart wrenching to see our little ones going through this as you know Z just went to kk too. Seems like the playground is often the place the kids are hurt. Hope Tim is recovering well and you take care too.

Anonymous said...

I felt heartache for you too. But, pls dun blame yourself. Glad Tim is ok now. Do take care ya.

Mico

ian in boston said...

Thank GOD for His protection over Tim and he is well now!

Take care!

MomsyWorld said...

*hugs* to both...

Joyce Long said...

My dear mamabliss, certainly you are a great mum..don't feel remorse. Tim is a brave boy and I am very glad he is ok now.

Ron Jun/Megan said...

mamabliss, you are a good mum, it's an accident and it's out of your control..Thank God that Tim is ok now.You take care of yourself too..may God's peace be with you and His protection over your family!

Shirley (jireh's mummy) said...

Goodness!!! What a day it must have been for you. Reading this entry alomost brought tears to my eyes as I can understand how you were feeling at the moment. Like tona-mama says it so aptly, it's indeed only a mum wld know how u felt.

But thank God indeed that Tim is fine and recovering well. Don't blame yourself coz accidents do take place (whether we are there or not). =)

Take care and continue to be a blessing to all around you.

Ing said...

Oh dear... I feel your pain as I read this post. Tim is such a brave boy. And you are a great mother. Don't blame yourself for this accident. Take care and pray that Tim recovers totally soon...

Eva said...

OMG! poor boy. Hope he will get well soon.

mamabliss said...

A heartfelt thank you to all of you great mommies... thank you so much for your encouragement and word of kindness... some even moved me to tears and I am deeply touched... it's a very traumatic experience for the little one and definitely a stressful experience for me, but I'm really glad and amaze by the resilience of my son... he's really up and about now and is on the way to recovery... so am really very thankful that this episode is over...

As a friend jokingly told me, take it as an accumulation of Tim's manly charms along the way of growing up... ;) he's certainly earned himself one new charm now... heh heh...

allthingspurple said...

oh, dear, I can imagine your frenzy ! Each time something happened to my kids, I go frantic with panic. Its good that you kept your cool. And you poor dear, you must have worried so much !!
But what a little brave boy Tim is !! Hugs and kisses to both of you !

Rose said...

Oh god, sorry to hear that! But glad everything is alright in the end!! god bless you and family

suesue said...

OMG, sorry to hear that and I can understand how you feel when your dear son is in the surgery room. Me too have the same experience as you last week. Hope everything is fine now with you and Tim and take care.

Ms. _______ 2 be ! said...

Got my heart racing reading this.
I hope he recover soon!

Dawn said...

you did not fail as a mum. We cant possibly be with our kid 24/7. So, its not your fault ok?

Anyway, he will be fine and he will grow out of it. Will pray for you and Tim!

mamabliss said...

oh wow... thank you very very much Christene, Rose, Suesue, Ms.___2B and Dawn, for all your kind concerns and offer of prayers... am truly very deeply touched... *HUGZ*

mamaseah said...

poor boy for the pain and poor u for the stress. Tim is a brave boy. He'll get well real soon with everyone's blessing. you do take care too