Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lets Talk About Sex

Sometime ago, while Tim was about 3 months old, I've bought a book titled "Who Am I, Where Did I Come From?"... I've shared it here...

Just two days ago, I pulled out the book and decided to educate Tim about sex... as I felt that he's still not quite aware that there's a difference between a girl and a boy... for he thinks that everyone has a penis like he does *smile*...

When I flip the page to where the boy and girl wasn't wearing any clothes... his immediate reaction was to say "shame...shame..." it was quite funny but on a more serious note it reminded me of what I taught him has an impact on him... and he associates immediately that without clothes on to being shameful...for that was exactly what I said to him whenever he runs around in the house naked...something for me to ponder about and reflect upon my reactions and what I teach Tim...

While reading the book, Tim was more interested in manipulating the pop-ups of the book than learning/reading the book...so he's not quite there yet to understand about sex... but I don't think I am starting him on sex education too young... it's best to start young otherwise it'll be very awkward to approach this subject matter when the kid is older... ;)

3 comments:

sam lim said...

A kids will start feel shameful when the age 2 or 3. However, i think this is a nice book to share with kids to teach about sex education

Joan D'Arcy said...

I agree that it never too early to teach kids about sex education. I attended a workshop on Child Sexual Abuse theme, ran by Protect & Save the Children, they emphasised on teaching their private parts' name without showing embarassment, just like teaching the word mouth, eyes, nose, ears to the kids. Of course at the same token to emphasised that all those are sacred and belonged to the kids, dont let anyone touch them (yes, even eyes/mouth/nose) unless it is for hygenic purposes...

tona-mama said...

hihi mamabliss,

can check with you what is the name of the shop that sells good children's books? tks!