Sunday, June 01, 2008

Fishy Business

I recently read with great interest about the benefits of Nordic Naturals' fish oil for children in the homeschool forum. Since fish oil is something both hubby and I passionately believe in, we have done our bit of homework to check out on why should we switch to a more expensive fish oil as opposed to continuing with the Scotts Emulsion that we have been feeding Tim the past 1.5yrs.

The very first thing we noticed between Scotts Emulsion and Nordic Naturals Children's DHA is the huge price disparity. We wanted to know why is it that Nordic Naturals has a price tag of S$43.90 vs Scotts Emulsion's S$5.50.

Through our little research we realized that Nordic Naturals is charging at this price mainly due to the quality of fish oils that they produce. It was only at this stage that we found out many fishes are mercury laden (do a quick google search and you'll find loads of reports about the matter)... and it is certainly important for us to be cautious what we feed to our little ones.

As we've discovered that mercury toxicity can result in paraesthesia (a tingling sensation on the skin), depression, and blurred vision. In foetuses and developing infants it can also have negative effects on attention span, language, visual-spatial skills, memory and coordination.

According to a Third Party Test report on the levels of contaminants that's found in Nordic Naturals' fish oils... it appears to be on the safe level.

Through the homeschool forum, I've also learnt that many parents whose kids are diagnosed with autism/ADHD is using Nordic Naturals to treat the neurological problem. In addition, Nordic Naturals fish oil is rather concentrated, ie. the child of 1-4yrs old need only take 2.5ml per day... we made a comparison to that of Scotts Emulsion's - 15ml per day... we are quite convinced that we need to make the switch, even though it's going to burn a hole in our pocket.

So we've bought our bottle of Nordic Naturals on Saturday, and we plan to give it to Little Missy as well...since she's able to take a 2ml dosage at her age. We are hoping to turn our kids into super kids (just kidding). Seriously, we really hope that this fish oil will help in their memory, learning and visual development (as stated on the bottle label) since this is the period where their brain grows the fastest... anything and everything a parent would do for their kids... *wink*

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi there! I have been feeding Cayden fish oil too (we use Efalex brand, as recommended by our pediatrican), for the past 2 years as I have not been able to include fish in Cayden's diet since we relocated to Mongolia. Mongolia does not have a fresh supply of fish. I was wondering how do you let Tim drink the fish oil? Do you feed him like medicine or do you include in his food?

MomsyWorld said...

Ethyl's been feeding on this this for a few years already...I can say it's really good, compared to emulsion's she loves this...and i have their card too...i will let u knw when i have the 20% off...

mei ying joanne said...

Harlo, Joanne here! Had linked ur blog to mine. Take care~. :)

mamabliss said...

Hi Michelle, Tim started with Four Seas fish oil when he was about 10mths old...that time we fed him by putting the fish oil into the milk (and boy it sure smell super duper FISHY)... and I guess through that he has gotten accustomed to the taste...and we didn't have much problem feeding him the tradtional (ie. the white) scotts emulsion.

I've read in the homeschool forum that some of the mothers feed their child Nordic Naturals blending it into the food the child takes... you may want to explore that?

mamabliss said...

hello Fannie, oh wow...thanks dear... it'd be great if we could get some discounts for purchasing the fish oil... sure will help ease the pocket a little... :)

mamabliss said...

Hi Joanne, thanks very much.

Gabby Momma said...

Hi Pauline,
It's cheaper if get via sprees from www.luckyvitamins.com I got Gabby's Sambucol @ 55% lesser than what it cost in S'pore. Based on est. calculations, Nordic DHA will cost ard $30 from spree.

Mama Bliss said...

Hi Gabby Momma, thanks for this great info, but would I need to pay a lot of shipment/handling charges?

Gabby Momma said...

$30 is incl. of shipping charges. I am going to try order & see how much it'll cost. Will let you know.

juz4forum said...

Hiee,

I have bought this product quite sometime back and was hesitant to continue to give cos saw the iodine as one of the ingredients - was wondering is it okay to give to children??

Once opened (more than 6 months) -kept in the fridge - is it safe to continue to consume?

Thanks

Mama Bliss said...

Hi Gabby Momma, thanks so much for your help dear :) another alternative is to get someone we know who is in the US to get it for us teehehe... ;)

Mama Bliss said...

hi Jus4Forum, I've checked the ingredients a few times after reading your comment but I have not seen Iodine listed as one of the ingredients... perhaps they have changed the ingredients? we were advised not to keep the fish oil for more than 3 mths after the bottle's been opened.

Hope that answers your question?

Anonymous said...

hi,

Just curious, instead of giving kids with these supplement, would it be good if we feed them real fish instead ?

Is salmon ok for infant around 8th month? i've been feeding my bb threadfin since she's 7th month. not on daily basis but 2 to3 times a week as i read somewhere, deep sea fishes have loads of mercury but due to the fish oil they produce, it's good for children.

so, im thinking is salmon fish ok for infant ? my baby is a fussy eater, i haven started to introduce supplement, should i ? she is now 8th month plus. Thanks

Mico

mamabliss said...

Hello Mico, according to Nordic Naturals' claims as well as the third party research company on the level of contaminants found in the fish oil is low, as it has been mostly filtered off the fish in the process of extraction.

Whereas, eating fish on its own we are still expose to the risks of consuming mercury or other contaminants...

Salmon is rich in fish oil unfortunately they are also mercury laden (makes me wonder perhaps we shd all become vegetarian even then we are expose to pesticides *faint*...oh I know, we could go organic *wink*).

That being said, I have been feeding my kids with salmon, cod fish, thread fish and occasionally minced chicken all this while as well. Little Missy has no adverse reaction to salmon thus far.

As for whether to feed your infant with fish oil, you'd have to take a judgement call and perhaps discuss this with your husband? Both my hubby and I are believers of the benefits of fish oil and therefore decided to start our 10mth old, Little Missy, with the fish oil.

tona-mama said...

Hi Mamabliss, I chanced upon your blog and was reading tis. I oso hv been giving my son Scott's since we all grew up on tt. But m keen to switch, can you pls tell me where I can get Nordic? You can visit my blog too at :
http://ourfirstbabykimiboy.blogspot.com/
Btw, u r such a dedicated mummy!!Doing so much for ur son at home! Well Done!! :) Need to learn from you!

mamabliss said...

Hello Tona-mama, thanks so much for visiting my blog and your kind compliments...am still very new in the business of motherhood hehehe... but I'm enjoying motherhood thus far...

You could purchase the Nordic Naturals dha from VitaKids, they have several branches here; Paragon, Forum galleria and United Square.

Hope that answers your question...and your little Kimiboy is ooooooh so CUTE!!! ;)

tona-mama said...

Hi mamabliss! Tks for visiting our blog. My boy is such a handful nowadays tt I sometimes don know wat to do... I think u r doin so WELL, definitely not new lah! Keke!

Tks too for the info. Yes, I've heard of Vitakids. I will ck it out.

Speak to you soon and hope ur thumb gets beta! I have tt will a few of my fingers! At its worst, I couldnt hold my toothbrush in the morning. Taking flaxseed did help me a little though. Take care!! :)