Friday, June 27, 2008

Activities with Little Missy

I know I haven't been as conscientiously recording all the things I have done with Little Missy... am definitely guilty as charged... *blush*

Now that Little Missy is a lot more mobile than before, it's terribly difficult to keep her still much less take pictures of the activities I do with her... (I know, lame excuse)...

Anyways, in my experience as a mother for over 2 years, I've learned that infant gets fascinated with just about anything and everything, simply because everything is NEW to them...

Give Little Missy a bulb of garlic, she'll stuff it right into her mouth in split seconds... give her a fridge magnet, without even looking at what it is, she'll stuff it into her mouth as well... give her a toy while she's seated on the high chair, she'll drop it onto the floor... for as many times as I place the toy into her hands she'll throw it right out... *faint*...

Anyways, I digress yet again... I've meant to blog about the activities I have been doing with Little Missy at home... well, there isn't really very much I could do with her, other than allowing her to explore the house, giving her new things to stimulate her learning, talking (lots and lots of talking) to her, describing just about anything and everything I do or see to her... unlike Tim, she's unable to focus on books when I read to her... as she will very often snatch the book away from me or simply proceed to gum the books... *shrug* perhaps later on, she'll enjoy reading with me more? 

Here are some picture records of what Little Missy has been exposed to of late (in random order)...I'd usually make the 2 kids "play" (parallel playing) together so that I could look after both of them at the same time... I'd normally allow them to play freely (with minimal interruption) in the room with the toys that are available...

Little Missy, would usually want the toys that Tim was playing... she'd reject all other toys that we offer her cos she has laid her eyes only on toys her brother was playing *faint*...

To calm a super restless child, I resorted to giving her my handphone pouch... she was interested in how the zipper worked...
Most part of the day, we let Little Missy crawl and explore the entire house (with close supervision of course). She'd just touch, yank, push, press, tear, gum anything that look interesting and fun to her...
Once again, she's manipulating the toy that was in her hands... we usually don't interrupt her while she's playing and manipulating some items (we deemed safe), as Montessori said it, it's this form of freedom that allows the child to learn how to concentrate and focus.
Being a book lover, I have loads of books made available at home as well as in the car. I'd really love for my children to catch on the love of reading... and over the past 2 years I've accumulated quite a load-ful of children's books, most of which was bought with the intention to read them all to my 2 kids. 

Though Little Missy is not quite willing to let me read to her (yet)... but she's definitely not lacking in the exposure to books... *smile*
Not a book lover yet, but definitely a food lover... she LOVES food... she'd cry for anything that we are eating... I gave her apples and baby's finger food to eat on her own... with the aim to  train her to feed herself early...
Whenever there's a new toy at home, she will definitely be given an opportunity to play, manipulate, gum them... 
She loves the kitchen, as that's the place I spent most of my time... and so one afternoon, I gave her a bulb of garlic, she was really calm and quiet for about 15mins... playing, peeling, gumming, throwing the garlic...and she was at the end of the day really happy... she was all smiles... 

On top of the above list of activities, I do dance with Little Missy as well... whenever there's music on the radio or TV, I'd sing and dance along with her... I'd play pretend with her by using a toy phone...she's able to play that on her own now (ie. whenever the toy phone was picked up, she'd place it to her ear)...

I am no expert in this since I have only been a mother for 2 years... I'm just re-using some of the activities I've done with Tim on Little Missy right now... so far it's been really fun ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mamabliss,

Thank you so much for sharing your activities with cutey missy..

my missy does many similar things especially the part where she basically puts anything she get hold directly into her mouth..shake head..

will try your method by letting her explore more on her own as we always grab her away from things she meddles, which is not right i guess...

Looking forward to more of your wonderful blog entry with lots of useful tips :)

Cheers,
Mico

mamabliss said...

Hi Mico, thanks so much for your encouragement and compliments... I will blog more about the activities I do with joyce as much as I could :)...

yes, it'd be good to give the child some freedom (within certain boundaries)...we have taken the approach that as long as the things they are playing with are not dangerous we'll let them explore so as not to stifle their curiosity and sense of adventure...

lets share notes as we go along in this journey of motherhood ya... ;)

Blessed mum said...

Garlic!! Did she actually eats the garlic! wow...if it is, she is good!

Reminds me of my boy months back..he too, refused to let me read to him until recently...

mamabliss said...

hi blessedmum, yeah, she put the bulb of garlic into her mouth...then she was peeling it and observing it ;)

i guess i hv to be patient with her on the reading part...

Ing said...

Hey, I like the way you let Little Missy explore the house. :) That's what I let Jaden do too... alot of touching things, exploring, listening, dancing, singing etc... :)

4MalMal said...

your little missy is soooo cute! I really love her chubby cheeks and she is chubby all over! oh and we let Mal play with almost EVERYTHING in the house when he was young and I think he must love us for that. haha :D as usual, u have put in lots of effort for your 2 kids. what a great mama :)

mamabliss said...

Hi Ing, yeah... that will actually help to propel their curiosity further...and encourage their love to explore and learn... ;)

mamabliss said...

Hi Rachel, thanks you always give me very kind compliments ;)