Monday, May 05, 2008

What's Up in the Kitchen?

I've been a little quiet on the blogosphere of late...as there are just too many 'experiments' to work out in the kitchen lab... so much to do so little time... teehehe... wouldn't it be great if there was 48hrs in a day... *wink*

Juicing - while there are many schools of thoughts about juicing... I simply just love juices... since I became a diabetic, I've been rather conscious about the amount of fruits I take... so the juices I'll make for myself will comprise of more vegetables than fruits... I've learnt that vegetables that are grown above ground are with minimal or no sugar at all...while those that are grown underground (eg. carrots) consist of sugar... so everything in moderation is key for me...
Juicing with fresh fruits/vegetables is the key to a more nutritious and healthful lifestyle... and to drink up the juice immediately after juicing is crucial...

I sprang up early Saturday morning, dragging out our 'brand new' super powerful, super efficient (as claimed in their advertisement) Jack La Lanne's Power Juicer... it has been sitting, collecting a thick layer of dust at one corner of our house for 2 whole years... *sheepish*
Well, I must say, I was pretty impressed by what this Power Juicer could do... it gave us a full glass of Orange/Apple juice (with only 1 apple and 1 orange)... not bad for its efficiency...

Tim was happy with a full bottle of juice to drink and no longer just a meagre 60ml-70ml of orange juice that's being juiced from a manual juicer... *grin*

I made myself half a glass of celery and tomato juice with 1 stalk of celery and 2 tomatoes, not bad huh? I shall experiment with more different types of juices from henceforth... didn't know juicing could get addictive too *smile*

Baking - some weeks ago, I baked a loaf of chickpea bread which wasn't very fantastic at all... so I modified the recipe a little by adding a little herb and black pepper...the results was DELISH!!!
Recipe for the Chickpea Herbal Bread -
Ingredients -
220ml water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
125gm chickpeas (I bought dried chickpeas, soaked them and boiled them with 1/2tsp salt)
375gm bread flour
1 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp sugar
2 tbsp milk powder
1.5 tsp instant yeast
Set bread maker to basic

With a wonderful tasting bread I've decided to make beef goulash to go with it for dinner this evening... *slurp*

2 comments:

Frances said...

Hi Pauline,
Where can I get the Jack La Lanne's Power Juicer? and how much?

Many Thanks!

mamabliss said...

Hi Frances, the Jack Lalanne's power juicer can be bought in Tangs. It's about $200+ (I got it as a gift from my SIL)... ;P