Friday, May 09, 2008

Taro or Yam?

This is a one pot cooks it all meal that I always like... and I am happy that I've learnt the recipe from my mom on how to prepare this delish meal...

Ladies...I present you my very first attempt of cooking the fragrant yam rice...

I love the aroma when the rice was boiling in the pot... it's a very simple meal to prepare if you don't wish to have any side dishes...

Ingredients needed -
Yam (or Taro) diced
Chicken Thigh Meat sliced (for the benefit of our helper we used chicken, the original recipe uses pork)
Chinese mushrooms thinly sliced (clean and soaked - keep the water used to soak the mushrooms)
Dried prawns (clean and soaked - keep the water used to soak the dried prawns)
6 shallots (finely chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
Rice
2 tbsp dark soy sauce

Methods of preparation -
1) Heat oil on wok and fry shallots and garlic for a while
2) Add the dried prawns in and fry for a minute
3) Add diced yam and chicken meat followed by mushrooms
4) when chicken is half cooked, add in washed rice
5) Fry for a minute and add 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
6) Cease fire and add all the mixture into rice cooker
7) Add the remaining 1tbsp dark soy sauce into the pot; stir a little
8) Add the water used to soak the mushrooms and dried prawns into the rice cooker
9) Add a little more water if required as per your usual method of cooking rice

Serve -
You may add a little chopped spring onions and red chilli if you wish.

Bon Appetit!~

5 comments:

Monday Morning Power said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Now for the reason I came by………
As you may be aware, the Big Bang has exceeded 835 sites, which is amazing. I feel that the 1,000-site goal is very doable. If you have not updated your list in a while, I would suggest doing so at http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com/2008/01/big-bang-master-list.html, and moving it to your front page, however, that is not the reason for leaving this comment.

I firmly believe that great things will happen to those who express gratitude for what they have. I am tagging you to express your gratitude with a Gratitude meme. Just go to http://AreYouGrateful.Com and follow the simple rules. Tagging is optional, but encouraged. This does come with a health portion of link-love. I also believe that over time, this will grow bigger than the Big Bang. If you don’t feel like being grateful maybe you would like to complain about something. Just go to http://ComplainComplainComplain.Com and follow those rules. The link-love is a combination of those two sites.

I hope to see you at one of them………or maybe even both.

etceteramommy said...

Slurps. Thanks for sharing. :D

Here's wishing you a Happy Mommy's Day too....*wink*

Mom to Angels said...

Wow, so yummy, so sedap!

Happy Mother's Day!

J@n!ce said...

Delicious. Hubs n I like YAM too. But I duno if the kids will like it cos it may be too "choke" n dry for them to swallow. Anyway, will give it a try. Thanks for sharing :)

Mother to Aidan Monster said...

Happy belated Mother's Day to you, Pauline! Am thinking of getting a walker, preferably a wooden one for Aidan. Not so much of those round commercialized walker, but more of a wagon, where Aidan can learn to push it along as he learns to walk. It is similar to what I see Timothy using on your blog pictures. Any idea?