Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Language of Bread...

I think I am obsessed... teehehe... been baking a lot of breads lately...experimenting on new recipes and rolling up my sleeves to shape the different breads has been really fun...

Since the last batch of curry chicken buns, I've decided to try yet another batch of hand-shaped buns... with the aid of the breadmaker, the process has been made much easier... as I don't have to roll the dough on my own... this recipe that I used, was meant for handmade bread but I was too lazy...so decided to dump everything into the breadmaker and then shape it afterwards...

The result wasn't too bad... take a look...These are plain bread... and the recipe for the bread is very similar to the curry chicken buns I made previously...

Recipe
(adapted from The Complete Book of Bread & Bread Machine)
For Bread -
450gm white bread flour
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp caster sugar
1.5 tsp rapid-rise dried yeast
60gm butter or margarine
250ml lukewarm milk
1 egg

For the Topping -
1 egg yolk
1tbsp water
sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds

(The recipe allows you to double the amount of dough and freeze half, tightly wrapped if you wish to use it later. Just thaw, glaze and bake as required later.)

Method of Preparation (if you are planning to use a breadmaker) -
1) Add lukewarm milk + egg + butter (according to the order)
2) Add sifted flour + salt + sugar + yeast (according to the order)
3) Set the breadmaker to Dough and press start
4) When the dough cycle completes remove the dough from the machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Knock it back gently, then divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into rolls as described in the following -
5) To make braids : divide each piece of dough into three equal pieces. Working on a lightly floured surface, roll each piece to a sausage, keeping the lengths and widths even. Pinch 3 strips together at one end, then braid them neatly but not too tightly. Pinch the ends together and tuck under the braid.
6) To make knots : shape each piece of dough into a long roll and tie a single knot, pulling the ends through.
7) Place the shaped rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet, spacing them well apart, cover the rolls with oiled clear film and leave to rise, in a warm place, for about 30mins, or until double in bulk.
8) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 degree celcius. Mix the egg yolk and water together for the glaze and brush over the rolls. Sprinkle some with poppy seeds and some with sesame seeds. Bake for 15-18mins or until golden. Lift the rolls off the sheet using a metal spatula and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Have fun!!!

2 comments:

suesue said...

Hi Mamabliss,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I love your blog and the recipes for all your bread. By the way, I see all your bread you didnt add bread improver. Is the bread stay soft and fluffy when it is cool. Mine didnt stay soft and fluffy.

mamabliss said...

Hi SueSue, thanks for visiting me too :)

i didn't use any bread improver, in fact, I just learned today that using the bread improver will keep the bread soft and fluffy...

however, strange thing is for my normal white loaf, it's usually still soft the next morning after baking but not the rest of the breads I've made...so I have to resort to warming the bread the next morning using the microwave oven...